In Bruges  » Movies  »
  • I became interested seeing In Bruges after I found out about the cast and the great script
  • But nothing would have foretold me how amazing this movie will turn out
  • Their life changing experience is wonderfully built and exposed with nihilistic and dark humor, some drama and a bit of action
  • Another very interesting and great fact about the movie is how Collin speaks with a natural Irish accent
  • Nonetheless, this is a simply wonderful piece of art, I enjoyed every line and every second of it

• by Toth Andrei

I became interested seeing In Bruges after I found out about the cast and the great script. But nothing would have foretold me how amazing this movie will turn out. First of all, it stars Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes and it is about two hitmen (Farrell and Gleeson) who are held up by their boss (Fiennes) in Bruges, Belgium after a difficult job.

While Ken loves the city, the younger Ray is pessimistic and he wants to return to London immediately, but it’s not that easy.

Their life changing experience is wonderfully built and exposed with nihilistic and dark humor, some drama and a bit of action.

I was captivated by the story from the first second. Another very interesting and great fact about the movie is how Collin speaks with a natural Irish accent; he made me feel closer to his character this way.

The fourth most important character in the story is the city of Bruges. The medieval buildings and sites are simply beautiful but somehow make the citizens seem uninterested and almost dead.

...

• That was kind of irritating of me, I wanted to see real reactions for the violent scenes. The acting is just superb.

Farrell does a wonderful job playing the young and nihilistic hitman. Gleeson who is Ray’s mentor also gives us a powerful performance, mainly because of the crucial decisions he takes at the end.

And there’s of course Ralph Fiennes who for me was born to play psychopathic characters. He’s dark, unintentionally humorous and scary.

He does an amazing job. He gave one of the greatest lines of the

movies; ‘You must stick to your principles’ he said just before a shocking moment.

The element of shock plays a very big part of this film. It somehow reminded me of Quentin Tarantino’s film-making; the dark humor and the excessive violence.

Nonetheless, this is a simply wonderful piece of art, I enjoyed every line and every second of it. It doesn’t have the typical Hollywood ending and that makes it even better.

I loved it and now that I’ve reviewed it I suddenly feel the urge of re-watching In Bruges.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112203640710331/k2311a0322/3.22.09