Golden Retrievers
  • I found a family whose dog had recently birthed a litter and headed over to see which Golden Retriever would pick me (I prefer that over me picking them)
  • Actually, the one who chose me was the one I liked the best anyway
  • Well, I learned after we got her that Golden Retrievers are indeed water dogs

• by Orrymain

While beagles are my favorite breed of dogs, I just love Golden Retrievers to bits, too. Many years ago, I had a beagle and wanted to get her a puppy, so that she’d have a playmate while I was at work. For a reason that was never explained, my father insisted on a Golden Retriever.

I found a family whose dog had recently birthed a litter and headed over to see which Golden Retriever would pick me (I prefer that over me picking them). Actually, the one who chose me was the one I liked the best anyway. Oddly, this purebred dog was cheaper than the others because she had a tiny white spot on her head. Ironically, that’s what I loved about her.

My Tina was such a cute and fluffy furball. She understood immediately that she was the beagle’s puppy. Everyone knew it.

Tina was the friendliest thing.

She loved everyone. Do not ever get a Golden Retriever for protection, unless you believe that sheer barking is all you need. She also was a homebody with no desire to go elsewhere. I don’t know if that’s normal for Golden Retrievers, but that’s how my dog was. She was ecstatic to be here. She never liked going for rides or walks; just let her roam the house and backyard, and she was happy.

This is the most important thing to know about Golden Retrievers: they love water. If you have a pool, be forewarned. If your Golden Retriever has access to the pool, they will live in it. That’s what Tina did. In the dead of winter, forty degrees outside, and there she’d be, lying on the top step of the pool as if it were a hundred degrees out there.

Tina would even swim under ...

• water. Now, where did this love of the water begin? Well, I learned after we got her that Golden Retrievers are indeed water dogs. It’s in their nature. Proof of this: still a very young puppy, my father was outside working and Tina, whose head was bigger than the rest of her little body, looked in the pool and just fell straight in.

Panic! A quick dive in to retrieve my baby and the result was a shake of her head and on she went, totally undeterred by what could have been a disaster. My heart was still pounding, and she’s looking down at the water again, ready for another dip.

Over the years, she’d go for swims whenever she felt like it, and she felt like it often; make that daily; make that any second she could. We bought toys just for the pool. Sometimes, Tina would just

swim out to me in the pool and I’d hold her - this big beast in my arms, just taking in the water and the sunshine. A couple of times, she actually fell asleep in my arms, just lounging in the shallow end of the pool. Odd, but true.

Tina’s love of the water made it impossible to comb her. I’d spend hours making sure she had this beautiful coat, and then out she’d go, right into the pool. Morning, noon, and night, that dog had to be in the water. It became a task that did nothing. She just wouldn’t stay out of the pool.

Golden Retrievers are great companions. They love people, and they love their home. They adore water like it’s air that they need to breathe. Most of all, they have a ton of unconditional love to give. Golden Retrievers come highly recommeded.

Golden Retrievers
    Gen says :

I am thinking of buying a AKC golden retriever puppy, he has a great lineage, but has a small patch of white hair on his head. I am just wondering if this is normal, and will he grow out of it? Should I ask for a slight discout because of this spot? Thanks

Orrymain replies :

Hi Gen, I`m not an expert but my golden retriever had a marking on her forehead that was adorable and never went away. It dimmed some, but it was always there. That was considered a defect and I paid less for her as a result. So, I`d definitely research that and at least discuss it. Enjoy — my golden retriever was a joy

John says :

Gen, many golden retrievers actually have the white patch at a young age. As the dog gets older this will actually get darker, until it disappears entirely.

crystal says :

my golden actually has a white patch on the front of her chest. shes 4 now and still has it. I think it is very cute.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291903638500731/k2311a0319/3.19.09