That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis
  • I agree, the book is, indeed, very different
  • The language and writing is rather British, but I enjoyed that
  • I am not sure I have completely understood the novel, but I don't think many do

• by Frederick
      The first thing most readers say about That Hideous Strength, Book 3 of the Space Trilogy by C. S.

Lewis, is that it is very different from the first two.

I agree, the book is, indeed, very different.

First of all, it is not science fiction.

Instead of taking us on another space traveling

adventure and showing us yet another unknown, beautiful world, Lewis sets this last book on the Earth, and what we see is far from beautiful.

Dr.

Ransom from the first two books is no longer the central character, he is not even there at first but shows up much later.

The story ...

• centers on a young married couple, Mark and Jane.

Mark works at the local university and is very proud and excited about being admitted into the “inner circles.

” We soon see that the inner circles are messing with dark, demonic powers.

Science that used to laugh at “superstitions” and had discarded all

things supernatural has gone a full circle and merged with the occult - only it is no longer called that.

It is a heavy, dense book loaded with dark imagery.

The language and writing is rather British, but I enjoyed that.

I am not sure I have completely understood the novel, but I don’t think many do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17150663840330/k2311a0615/6.15.06