Doug Sheehan  » People  »
  • For me, though, when I think about Doug Sheehan, I think about Joe Kelly, the character he played on General Hospital at the start of his career
  • At one fan club event I was at, I believe it was Rick who picked Doug up and was carrying him around the room
  • The only one thing I really noticed that was difficult was after he got married

• by Orrymain

He’s a man who plays the bagpipes, loves to sing a ditty, and knows how to act. He has a fun personality and lots of charisma. The man is Doug Sheehan.

Some readers may know him from a TV series called Day by Day. He played the father. The show helped to make a teen idol out of a teenager named C.B (Christopher) Barnes. Others may know him from his years on Knots Landing, when he played one of Val’s husbands. He garnered a lot of attention from those seasons on TV. For me, though, when I think about Doug Sheehan, I think about Joe Kelly, the character he played on General Hospital at the start of his career.

These three roles were really

quite different. All were good guy characters, but their stories were different, as were the action involved. They show some range in acting, and he was quite well received for his performances.

I always loved Doug Sheehan. He was so goofy in person. He and Richard Dean Anderson were really good friends, and they would get zany together. At one fan club event I was at, I believe it was Rick who picked Doug up and was carrying him around the room. It was just plain silliness.

Doug was very personable. He always had time to sign autographs and talk. The only one thing I really noticed that was difficult was after he got married. His wife ended up toting around gifts ...

• that fans were bringing, and I’m not sure she was having a good time. Doug sort of became two people at that point whenever we saw him, either at events or outside the studio. If he was alone, he never failed to stop and chat, or he’d spend a long time with fans at the gathering. However, whenever his wife was around, he’d wave, but he’d never stop.

It’s understandable in a way. His wife was his first priority, as it should be, so he honored her by continuing on with their life, versus stopping to make us happy. He never ignored us when she was around; he just limited his interaction to a smile and wave, or a brief hello. While sometimes disappointing,

I think that was fair. It was very noticeable, though, a true night and day shift in how he acted and what he did.

Doug put out a 45 record during his days on General Hospital. One side was a silly thing, and the other a more serious tune. Both were wonderful, and I still have that record.

I remember Doug Sheehan very fondly, and I often wonder if he and Richard Dean Anderson are still good friends and in touch. I hope they are. I also hope we get to see more of Doug in the future, though it’s been a while since his last appearance on TV. He’s a fine actor and I believe a good person with a great gift for humor.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521903638230731/k2311a0319/3.19.09