Movie Waterworld  » Movies  »
1.0
  • I love my husband, but I loathe and detest this film
  • There are the customary pirate-type fights and I really can't tell if there is supposed to be a romance or not between Costner's and Tripplehorn's characters, because there are zero sparks anywhere, although I think there is one very chaste, passionless kiss in a brief scene
  • It's amazing that so much money was expended on Waterworld, only to have such pathetic results
  • Unfortunately, hubby is, so I will just keep on hiding his DVD of this clunker, in the hopes that he doesn't eventually get wise to me

• by writergal
      For some reason, my husband loves “Waterworld. ” I love my husband, but I loathe and detest this film. It’s hard to believe that this 1975 cinematic “messterpiece” was one of the most expensive movies ever made.

Maybe they spent a lot of the money on the sets and makeup artists who created the ugly, deformed, mutant characters, because, obviously, no moolah was spent on good writers. Kevin Costner plays a sort of “manphibian,” after the polar ice caps melt and cause all known land to be flooded, except- ah-ha!- there is a rumor about a place where dry land still exists, which might

be found by reading a map tattooed on the back of a mysterious little girl( child actress Tina Majorino).

Bad guy Dennis Hopper also knows about the map and schemes to kidnap the girl and her protective female adult companion, played by Jeane Tripplehorn in a role beneath her gifts. There are the customary pirate-type fights and I really can’t tell if there is supposed to be a romance or not between Costner’s and Tripplehorn’s characters, because there are zero sparks anywhere, although I think there is one very chaste, passionless kiss in a brief scene.

Tina Majorino is absolutely nerve-grating and bratty in her ...

• role as the highly sought-after tattooed girl. She spends a great part of the movie whining and blubbering.

I have seen her in other films where she gave decent performances, but in “Waterworld” she is utterly charmless. Jeanne Tripplehorn does little more than look upset and utter a few forgettable lines, while Dennis Hopper, as usual, plays an over-the-top villain.

He’s about the only person worth watching in this whole monstrosity. Oh, and there is that stomach-churning scene where Costner’s “fish man” character converts his urine into drinking water.

Yep, that’s how bad this is. By the time this movie mercilessly ends, I

don’t care whether or not they find dry land or not, as long as the thing is over.

This was a badly made, badly executed film and totally beneath the talents of the cast, all good actors. The goal, I guess, was that this become a futuristic sci-fi pirate flick.

It’s amazing that so much money was expended on “Waterworld,” only to have such pathetic results. Surprisingly, it actually has become a cult classic, of sorts, to a few folks, but I am not on that list.

Unfortunately, hubby is, so I will just keep on hiding his DVD of this clunker, in the hopes that he doesn’t eventually get wise to me. Wish me luck!

Movie Waterworld

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11150663780330/k2311a0615/6.15.06