NASCAR - Bud Shootout 2009  » Sport  »
  • I've long said Jeff is classier than Johnson, and he proved it again tonight because he did help out Johnson, and he expressed concern about him when Johnson wrecked out of the race (I think it's karma)
  • There were a lot of different leaders and it kept us guessing and on the edge of our seats, so it was definitely a nice view

• by Orrymain

The 2009 NASCAR season got under way with the Bud Shootout 2009 race on February 7 and while it didn’t end exactly how I wanted it to, it was a very good race.

This special race is run in two segments, the first being 25 laps and the second being 50 laps. In between is a ten-minute break.

My favorite driver, Jeff Gordon, started dead last, right beside Kevin Harvick. That really doesn’t worry me because this race is at Daytona, a restrictor plate race, meaning the draft is important. I’ve seen cars lead on lap 3

and be in last place on lap 5. Timing is everything.

I had a few observations about this race.

First, the drivers are ready to race big time. The pit reporters noted how early they had gathered to be introduced. They were eager! Once the race started, their cars were darn lose, and they were all beating and banging on one another. There were several cautions due to wrecks and a number of those were just racing incidents and not any kind of driver error.

Kyle Busch hasn’t changed. He’s still a steamroller on the ...

• track. He doesn’t know how to back off.

Jimmie Johnson is still a lousy teammate. He had at least two chances to help out Jeff Gordon, but didn’t either time. I’ve long said Jeff is classier than Johnson, and he proved it again tonight because he did help out Johnson, and he expressed concern about him when Johnson wrecked out of the race (I think it’s karma). Johnson is too self-absorbed. It doesn’t bother him at all to leave his teammates hanging out to dry.

In-Car Audio is wonderful. It was a hoot to

hear Jeff Gordon say over the radio that he thought Harvick had been hanging back on purpose all race long. He was sure the man had something powerful to offer during the last dash of the race. He was right — Harvick won.

It really was exciting to watch the Bud Shootout 2009. Though Jeff didn’t win, he finished fourth, and that’s a good way to start the year, too. There were a lot of different leaders and it kept us guessing and on the edge of our seats, so it was definitely a nice view.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351903636840431/k2311a0319/3.19.09