Ibanez GAX75 Guitar  » Music  »
2.5
  • The first guitar that I bought was a Mexican Stratocaster
  • It was convenient for me because my band plays songs in standard tuning and others in drop-D tuning
  • There are other guitars out there that are better and cost the same as this Ibanez guitar
  • Besides the small problem that I have with the string getting stuck, the guitar hasn't had any other mechanical problems
  • It's not for everyone, and it definitely wasn't for me

• by Joe Ro

This guitar is the second guitar that I purchased. The first guitar that I bought was a Mexican Stratocaster. This Ibanez brand guitar has some cool features, but it just wasn’t for me. I really prefer my Strat over the Ibanez. I honestly don’t really know why I bought it. I just thought it was time to get a new guitar because I had the Strat for 2 years. That was a mistake because the Ibanez was actually a downgrade.

The Ibanez GAX75 is a good guitar for someone who is just learning to play guitar. I bought it from Guitar Center for two hundred dollars. It doesn’t sound bad plugged into an amp if you have some decent distortion and effect pedals. It’s an American made guitar. It has 22 frets, which is standard for most guitars. I did have some trouble with the high E string on the bottom of the guitar. Sometimes when I hit notes on that string, the string

gets caught on the outside of one of the fret dividers. This is annoying because I would have to stop playing and untangle that string. It was especially annoying when playing gigs with my band. The last thing that a musician wants is to have to stop playing because of instrument or equipment malfunctions.

This guitar does have a really cool feature though. It has a drop-D switch which automatically tunes the low E string down to the key of D with the flip of a switch. All of the strings attach to the bridge and curl around the back, except for the low E string which remains on top and attaches to the flip switch. It was convenient for me because my band plays songs in standard tuning and others in drop-D tuning. It was convenient and easy to change the tuning without having to unplug and break out a tuner. The drop-D switch really makes the process of playing and practicing a ...

• lot easier. Although the guitar has 22 frets, the body of the guitar prevents you from going that high. The body of my Strat allows room for my hand to slide all the way up to the highest fret. The body of the Ibanez gets in the way. Although it’s possible to play it that high, the body makes it more difficult than it should be. It’s just an inconvenience that shouldn’t be there.

The guitar sounds decent. You get what you pay for. There are other guitars out there that are better and cost the same as this Ibanez guitar. The tone of the guitar is actually pretty good. It sounds good on a clean channel and on a distorted channel. It didn’t fit my purposes because I play in a modern rock band. The guitar is much better suited for someone who plays in a metal or hard rock band. This guitar was suited for someone who uses a lot of distortion.

Besides the small problem that I have with the string getting stuck, the guitar hasn’t had any other mechanical problems. There have been no problems with the bridge, drop-D tuner, pickups or string holders. And I believe that most other models of this guitar won’t have the string problem that I have.

This guitar is okay for the price range that it’s in. If you have the money though, make sure you try a bunch of different guitars out. I was sort of swindled into buying this guitar. The GAX75 looks really cool. Mine was metallic black, and I was immediately attracted to it because of how cool it looked. Unfortunately though, after a few months the attractiveness of the guitar wore off, and I was left with a guitar that has a decent sound, at best. Make sure you play and test this guitar before you buy it. If you like it, buy it. It’s not for everyone, and it definitely wasn’t for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141903635800331/k2311a0319/3.19.09