Vancouver Zoo  » Entertainment  »
2.5
5048-264th Street, Aldergrove, B.C., Canada
  • First of all I noticed that the prices are very steep, in my opinion-$18 for adults, $15 for children over 4 years old and a family 'deal' package of $60 for two adults and 2 children
  • I was disappointed to see that the elephants are no longer there, but the baby giraffe is a real attraction
  • My favourite feature today was the feeding of the big cats, the Siberian tiger and the lions

• by Jessie Bahrey

My biggest complaint about zoos has always been that they seem to cater to the business of entertaining visitors, sometimes to the detriment of the animals; many zoos I have visited over the years did not have ample room for the animals, especially the big animals. I visited the Greater Vancouver Zoo today, in Aldergrove, B.C., Canada, decades after my last visit as a child in the 1980s, when it was known as the Aldergrove Game Farm. I was curious to see what it was like now, and also how zoo officials had dealt with complaints from the SPCA that the resident hippo’s home was inadequate for her needs.

First of all I noticed that the prices are very steep, in my

opinion-$18 for adults, $15 for children over 4 years old and a family ‘deal’ package of $60 for two adults and 2 children. There is also a $4 parking fee. The second thing that stood out to me was that the layout is how I remembered it to be: the rhinos, hippos, the giraffes and the big cats are in the centre area, and each animal has an indoor and an outdoor environment, and surrounding this are many acres of land for the various deer, elk, buffalo, wolves, bears and other animals. The entire area is accessible by bicycle, stroller, wagons, or on foot, and there is bus service and a small train at designated times. The zoo is large, so ...

• small children or elderly folk may not be able to walk the entire time. Another thing I notices was that the enclosures and buildings are weathered and slightly shabby in appearance; however, since it is an outdoor attraction, having bright paint and fancy décor would be a bit wasteful, and also unrealistic.

The hippo environment, which now contains two hippos, has been vastly expanded with a huge pool and much land. The space for all of the big animals seems adequate for their size, and compared to many other zoos I have visited in North America, the animals do all seem to have their needs met. I was disappointed to see that the elephants are no longer there, but the baby

giraffe is a real attraction. My favourite feature today was the feeding of the big cats, the Siberian tiger and the lions. The handler threw meat over the fence and even hand-fed the lions through the fence, all the while explaining to the audience some of the facts and stories about these magnificent creatures. Seeing the male lion stand on his hind feet and pressed against the fence while eating out of the handler’s hands was a crowd pleaser.

All in all, the zoo is very animal friendly, and does a good job of portraying the animals in as near to their natural environment as possible. However, the price is going to be difficult for some families to pay, especially given the current economy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591803632620331/k2311a0318/3.18.09