Leap Frog Leapster 2  » Baby care  »
  • I bought my daughter (who is 5) a Leapster 2 to use to help practice her reading and writing
  • I opened the box and the first thing I noticed is that it was packaged very well, so well in fact that you could barely get it out
  • I think this is a really neat feature that we may use later on down the road
  • I do know a lot of the Leap Frog products offer that and I thought it would have been great if the Leapster 2 did as well
  • I have never had an issue with a Leap Frog product and I definately do not with the Leapster 2

• by gordy93

I bought my daughter (who is 5) a Leapster 2 to use to help practice her reading and writing. She was very excited to see it and get her own big kid video game.

I opened the box and the first thing I noticed is that it was packaged very well, so well in fact that you could barely get it out. With the help of some scissors I was able to release it from its packaged home. Once released I also noticed that the unit is well made and very sturdy, I do not have to worry about it breaking if it is dropped (which is a huge possibility with 3 kids).

I then worked on setting it up so that my daughter could start playing with it. It included a booklet to get it running quickly. The Leapster 2 takes 4 AA batteries and I really like the way they did

the battery panel. You do not need a screwdriver to get into it, just a coin or a butter knife. It is effective in keeping kids out but easy for a parent to get in quickly. Once the batteries were in it was just a matter of turning it on to get started. The Leapster 2 starts off by having you add different accounts for different users, so I added all my children to it.

I didn’t realize when I purchased the Leapster 2 that it already had 2 built in games. One is a reading/math based game, that I encourage my daughter to play but she doesn’t seem very interested in and the other is a colouring game that she loves to play.

The Leapster 2 comes well equipped with volume control, constrast/brightness control, plug in for head phones, a help button, a pause button, and a back button. I really ...

• like the stylus that is attached and the holder to keep it attached. The Leapster 2 is also able to connect to the computer with a USB plug. You can download games and as a parent you can keep track of what your child is learning. I think this is a really neat feature that we may use later on down the road. Right now we are still getting the hang of the 2 games it has and we haven’t ventured online with it.

I think the Leapster 2 was a great investment. It is a learning tool and it is something to keep my daughter busy at times that she may not have anything else to do. She plays it off and on through the day and can follow the instructions that are verbalized during the game. This is a product that will be great for my 2 younger children as

they grow.

Another feature I really like about the Leapster 2 is that it is compatible with any other Leapster games, they don’t have to be just Leapster 2 games, they can be the original or the Leapster Max. It is nice not to have to purchase brand new games when I can look for used ones from the other systems and still have them work.

I would have loved to see the Leapster 2 come with an option of changing languages from English to French and back. I do know a lot of the Leap Frog products offer that and I thought it would have been great if the Leapster 2 did as well. I would also have loved to see Leap Frog throw in some batteries to start us off.

I have never had an issue with a Leap Frog product and I definately do not with the Leapster 2. I am very happy with it.

Sue Harsch says :

I purchased a Leapster Quick Click Start Computer for my Grandaughter a couple of years ago. I am very disappointed to see that there haven`t been any new games produced. It looks as if most of the attention has gone to Leapster 2 and Explorer. I could use your advice as to which is the better device to purchase.

Leslie says :

I have the Leapster L-Max that my daughter had when she was younger and now my 3 year old son is using. To purchase new games, I want to confirm that the Leapster 2 games will work in the Leapster L-Max units.

John says :

Yes, it will work fine with all 15 original Leapster learning games.

michele says :

are the books for the Little Touch Library compatible with the Leap Frog Leapster?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 541603631760331/k2311a0316/3.16.09