Movie: “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (2008)
2.5
  • If Benjamin (played by Brad Pitt) were a more interesting character, the movie would have had more appeal
  • As it was, it was much too long and, unfortunately, quite dull
  • He befriends a young girl named Daisy, which I found to be very creepy, though I understood that he had the mentality of a child
  • I wasn't particularly impressed by the acting
  • I would definitely not waste another few hours of my life watching this film again

• by TJ Lord

I had to see what all the hype was about. “Benjamin Button” was THE talked-about film of the year: critics raved about the film, and it was nominated for all kinds of awards.

The premise was strange and unique: a baby boy is born old, and grows younger throughout his lifetime. Basically, it’s a biography, backwards. If Benjamin (played by Brad Pitt) were a more interesting character, the movie would have had more appeal. As it was, it

was much too long and, unfortunately, quite dull.

In 1918, a disfigured child is born. He looks like an old man in the form of a baby; his distraught father abandons him. The child is found by Queenie and Tizzy, who run a nursing home. They adopt the child, though he isn’t expected to survive. But Benjamin defies all odds when he does survive, and grows younger with each passing year.

In 1930 Benjamin appears to be in his ...

• seventies. He befriends a young girl named Daisy, which I found to be very creepy, though I understood that he had the mentality of a child. However, it’s usually not socially acceptable for young girls to spend a lot of time alone with old men.

A few years later, Benjamin works on a boat, learns about sex, meets his real father, and has a brief affair with a married British woman. Amidst all this he vaguely keeps in

contact with Daisy (adult version played by Cate Blanchett). Eventually, when he’s in his thirties, he and Daisy have a relationship and a child; but Benjamin continues to grow younger and knows he cannot be a real father.

I found the movie long, dull, and disjointed. I wasn’t particularly impressed by the acting; in fact, Cate Blanchett’s faux Southern accent was very off-putting. I would definitely not waste another few hours of my life watching this film again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111503631021131/k2311a0315/3.15.09