Windows DVD Maker (Windows Vista Premium editions)  » Software  »
  • Unfortunately before you can do this, you will need to have the correct type of software installed, and that can be of somewhat expensive
  • Fortunately Microsoft has included excellent DVD making software into all Premium versions of Windows Vista (excludes Vista starter, Basic and Business) this tool is to me one of the best tools that you can use especially with it being included in the Operating System
  • I have noticed that when adding Videos you may be required to download and install the Divx codec in order for Windows DVD Maker to read and play the file(s)
  • I found also that while the DVD is being made the software is in no way invasive, the main application windows closes and a small box will appear in the bottom right hand of the screen
  • Also whether this has anything to do with my computer or not I do not know, but sometimes should I add large files the software may tend to freeze and in most cases crash, I think personally it's just me and it's not a problem with the software as a whole

• by internetwhizzkid

Demand for videos and such downloads have become very popular, and you will find that many will want to download such videos onto a DVD so that it can be viewed on a larger screen television and such a like. Unfortunately before you can do this, you will need to have the correct type of software installed, and that can be of somewhat expensive. Sure there may be free tools available but they can be of somewhat very limited. Fortunately Microsoft has included excellent DVD making software into all Premium versions of Windows Vista (excludes Vista starter, Basic and Business) this tool is to me one of the best tools that you can use especially with it being included in the Operating System. I feel as if that the 3 step wizard enables me to have much more professional looking DVDs as to what I would get when I use the likes of Nero or Roxio At a first launch you will get a small introduction Window which gives you a real basic look into what the software will be able to do for you.

As to what I have seen you are able to make photo DVDs and Video DVD’s. In my example I used it for videos. Step 1 is extremely fast and simple, you just have to select what you would like to have on the DVD, this is done either by the “browse” button, or a simple drag and drop motion from the folder they are stored and into the application window. I have noticed that when adding Videos you may be required to download and install the Divx codec in order

for Windows DVD Maker to read and play the file(s).

Admittedly it’s a little annoying but the download is fast and free so it’s not going to cause any real problems. After pressing next the main DVD customization is ready to take place. The software automatically sets a menu up by default, but you are easily able to change it to another one should you wish from the menu on the right. There are 20 designs which you can choose from, some which look rather professional, some abstract, and some rather beautiful.

I am sure that whatever the DVD is you will be able to find one that is ideal. My personal favourites are, Performance, highlights, bandwidth and reflections. When you have selected the menu design, you can add extra things such as a text title and even background music. Make sure however that you choose the right menu design before all the text etc, if you don’t I have found that all the text and sounds that you may of added will be removed and you will have to add it all into the DVD again.

Within the options also you can change the look of any buttons and links that you may have on the menu, once again it’s a real nice touch and anyone would think that the DVD had been done by a paid professional!

As soon as the designs etc are complete you are ready to have the DVD made. Simply insert a relevant blank DVD and press the burn button at the bottom. If there are any issues with the inserted DVD the software will automatically require taking any needed ...

• action before it continues. (If a DVD wasn’t blank etc) That really is all that needs to be done; on average for me it takes around no more than 2 hours to have a full 90 minute movie on the DVD.

OK to some people that will seem like a very long time and you may have used some other software which is a lot faster. I was the same. But bear in mind the results at the end are fantastic, no other software is as simple as Windows DVD maker, and the results at the end aren’t all that good! I found also that while the DVD is being made the software is in no way invasive, the main application windows closes and a small box will appear in the bottom right hand of the screen. This essentially is a progress bar which tells you what is happening (encoding and then burning) The whole process is also shown in part and full percentages, (0.

1% 0. 2% 3%,8. 3% etc) this obviously gives a better idea of how long it will take, once reached 100% the whole process is completed, and the DVD is ready. You can also should you wish save the project at the end, so should you want to make another copy of the DVD at a later stage, or make amendments you can do that fast and easily by clicking on the DVD saved in my documents as a default.

I really do have to score highly for this software, it has become my most favourite DVD making software and it will be very hard for me to go back to something else,

It seems that this software is in my own opinion the best software that Microsoft has made and included into versions of Windows. I agree some people may thing that it’s rather basic and free, and they may tend to find that they are able to get more from other software like Nero or Roxio. But If you want something that is very simple to use, fast at making professional looking DVDs, and something that does not require you to spend a dime (if you have the qualifying operating systems included) then I have no reason to say why you should not use this software.

There are only some small issues which I might as well mention.

There is no option to have the computer turn itself off once the DVD is completed. This would be nice to be included as I would be able to set a DVD going and be able to leave the computer on its own, and not have to come back to it just to turn it off and save the electricity. I would rather go out and leave it, knowing that it will be turned off completely when I get back. Also whether this has anything to do with my computer or not I do not know, but sometimes should I add large files the software may tend to freeze and in most cases crash, I think personally it’s just me and it’s not a problem with the software as a whole.

Never mind, I would just say give the software a try, and if not just go to something that you may prefer, but while it is there on a plate why not just use it anyway!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 301503630860731/k2311a0315/3.15.09