St. Raphael Catholic Church in Santa Barbara, CA
5444 Hollister Avenue, Santa Barbara, CA 93111
  • I greatly enjoyed, particularly, the Life Teen Masses, which were my first experience with Catholic Charismatics
  • I would not recommend this service, however, to those who prefer more traditional Catholic services

• by Reed

When I still lived in Santa Barbara, which was up until late last year, I frequented St. Raphael’s as my parish. It’s a great Roman Catholic Church, overall, and although I tend to think St. Raphael, as a saint, is a bit of a holdover from medieval Catholicism more than a legitimate venerable figure, my qualms end there. I greatly enjoyed, particularly, the Life Teen Masses, which were my

first experience with Catholic Charismatics.

St. Raphael is an archangel, and there’s no mention of him biblically. It is more or less a completely tradition-based belief, unlike that of St. Michael, and while there stands to reason from Catholic theology and from scripture that there are other archangels besides Michael, I tend to have difficulty in venerating St. Raphael, much less some of the other non-official archangels. I therefore ...

• did not enjoy the fact that St. Raphael’s has chosen to name themselves after this archangel.

I did, however, enjoy the Life Teen Masses. This is the name given to the Mass held at 5:30 pm on Sunday nights. It is a part of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal style of Masses, which I had never attended. In short, I loved it - lots of great singing, energy, and intensity. I

would not recommend this service, however, to those who prefer more traditional Catholic services. There is some aspects of it that mimic or resemble Protestant services. After the Mass, there is a gathering with free food and continued Devotion and Prayer, which I never attended, but they are very welcoming to non-Teens to attend.

Overall, St. Raphael’s, despite its namesake, was a great Parish with a great amount of enthusiasm for our Faith.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 511503630670731/k2311a0315/3.15.09