Metrolink Commuter Trains in Los Angeles and Orange Counties, CA  » Railway  »
  • My experience on the Metrolink trains, despite the still fairly recent, tragic accident that killed many, has been relatively positive
  • They tend to be placed in a double-tiered seating arrangement, which I enjoy, because I tend to like to be up on the top of a train car, just to get a better view of my surroundings as I pass by them
  • Overall, I think that Metrolink is a valuable asset to the community, and that while some staffing issues may be in order for re-assessment, the system needs to stay in place, nonetheless, in order to continue to provide a public transportation option to L

• by Reed

My experience on the Metrolink trains, despite the still fairly recent, tragic accident that killed many, has been relatively positive. The trains are more comfortable and clean than light rail trains such as the Metro Blue Line, and the service itself is greatly needed in the Greater Los Angeles Area to alleviate car traffic. Additionally, it seems to get a good amount of use out of a variety of people, not just those without access to cars, which is encouraging, to me.

Metrolink trains have fewer cars than Amtrak trains, but a larger amount (as well as larger in

size) of cars than Metro Blue Line or other light rail. They tend to be placed in a double-tiered seating arrangement, which I enjoy, because I tend to like to be up on the top of a train car, just to get a better view of my surroundings as I pass by them. The seats themselves are fairly uncomfortable and hard, however, with only slightly more padding than a public bus seat of similar size, which I’ve always been annoyed by.

The conductor makes announcements at each stop fairly clearly, but they also sound fairly unenthused to be doing ...

• so. They also can be fairly rude if you try and speak with them. I imagine their jobs aren’t the most exciting, but I find it disheartening that they don’t put on a better face, especially considering it was the error of staff that caused the recent Metrolink accident. Their lethargic demeanor doesn’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence in the average rider that such an accident will never occur again.

Undoubtedly the most positive aspect of Metrolink is that it is relatively cheap, compared to driving, and that they have such a large scope of stops in the

L.A./Orange County area. Many stops that Amtrak trains do not visit, Metrolink trains do. As a result, the trains are, indeed, a bit slower than Amtrak due to so many stops, but you can get on and off almost anywhere, and it provides a great sense of accessibility to the otherwise crowded L.A. region.

Overall, I think that Metrolink is a valuable asset to the community, and that while some staffing issues may be in order for re-assessment, the system needs to stay in place, nonetheless, in order to continue to provide a public transportation option to L.A. commuters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 441303629660331/k2311a0313/3.13.09