The Behringer HPS 5000 Studio Headphones  » Electronics  »
  • This is a problem since sound from the ear cups or cans can leak and spill when you're using the HPS 5000 as monitor for the vocalist while recording vocals
  • I prefer closed-type headphones with large ear cups that cover the ears entirely which would minimize any sound leaks
  • I was disappointed by it's construction considering it's supposed to be Behringer's top of the line studio headphones
  • If, however, you feel it's too small, you may consider looking for other headphones

• by 6Clix

The Behringer HPS 5000 Studio Headphones is a closed-type, high-performance studio headphones from Behringer. It has a 40 mm diameter capsule, frequency response of 20 Hz 20 kHz, maximum power handling of 100 mW, 32 Ohm impedance, sensitivity of 113.5 db at 1kHz, 1m cord length which extends to 2.5 m, and a 1/8″ TRS stereo connector with a 1/4″ TRS adapter.

The HPS 5000 comes in a box with a 1/4″ TRS adapter. This is just a pair of headphones so there isn’t really anymore accessories to go with it. It is made mostly of black plastic with a coiled cord. I’m not particularly fond of coiled cords since they have a bit of resistance when stretched and I find it inconvenient if not annoying. Most headphone jacks are usually found at the back of a gadget so most of the time, more than 1m of cord is needed and with a coiled cord, it has to be stretched and there’s a tendency for the coiled

cord to pull at the headphones which I find distracting and annoying. It’s ear cups or cans can be adjusted up or down and that’s all the adjustment you can make. The HPS 5000 has a fixed width so if you have a slightly larger head like I do, you’ll notice that the headphones don’t fit snugly on your ears. The arch or band of the headphones that rests on your head and holds the ear cups is very thin, so it tends to stretch away from your ears if your head doesn’t fit it’s size. This is a problem since sound from the ear cups or cans can leak and spill when you’re using the HPS 5000 as monitor for the vocalist while recording vocals. I actually find myself pressing down on the ear cups just to minimize any leaks. The ear cups themselves are not large enough to totally cover your ears. I prefer closed-type headphones with large ear cups that cover the ...

• ears entirely which would minimize any sound leaks. These problems make the HPS 5000 uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. The cushion on the headband fell off after about 3 months so I had to glue it back on. This indicates that the construction of the HPS 5000 is not that good. What’s nice about the it’s TRS connector and adapter, however, is they’re both gold-tipped.

As to performance, the HPS 5000 delivers a pretty flat sound and is able to reproduce sounds quite well, which is pretty impressive. I could hear the subtle nuances from the songs I recorded. This is the good thing about this headphones, which is basically what matters. It does indeed live up to its claim as a studio headphone.

Overall, I would say that the HPS 5000’s construction is poor and not well made. It’s sound performance, however, is pretty good. But studio work entails hours of work in the studio, which means a prolonged use

of the headphones and if the headphones aren’t comfortable to wear, you’ll end up ditching the headphones. I don’t particularly find the HPS 5000 comfortable to wear but it is good enough for monitoring for short periods of time. I do monitor from near-field speakers as well so I just use the HPS 5000 if there’s a need for it and take it off once I find it uncomfortable and irritating. I was disappointed by it’s construction considering it’s supposed to be Behringer’s top of the line studio headphones. I do understand that for it’s price, it’s much cheaper than other studio headphones but still, Behringer should have put more effort in the design and wearability of the HPS 5000. Before you buy this product, I would suggest you examine the size of the headphones and if you feel it would fit your head, then go and buy it since it performs pretty well. If, however, you feel it’s too small, you may consider looking for other headphones.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161303629230331/k2311a0313/3.13.09