Prozac for the Treatment of Depression/Anxiety
  • Overall, I would recommend Prozac to most people, whether in its name-brand or generic format

• by Reed

I have been prescribed Fluoxetine Hydrochloride, or the Generic form of Prozac, off-and-on for the past six years. I have found it is a cheap, readily available, and effective treatment for my anxiety and occasional depression.

I suffer from a wide variety of anxiety symptoms, including panic attacks, generalized anxiety, social phobias, and hypochondria. There are times in my life

where my symptoms are manageable, but they tend to flare up to rather uncontrollable proportions from time to time. This is where I find the use of Prozac is the most helpful.

I have been on three different dosages of Fluoxetine, including 20 mg a day, 40 mg a day, and 60 mg a day. 60 mg, in my experience,

• provides too much of a “flattening” effect, where I feel so emotionless, so to speak, that I tend to feel mildly depressed because of the Prozac, rather than because I’m not taking it. 40 mg is a fairly manageable dose for me, but 20 mg seems the most optimal for my particular issues. I tend to not feel too
        “flat,” and there’s just a general sense of taking the edge off of my anxiety for me.

Overall, I would recommend Prozac to most people, whether in its name-brand or generic format. It is the oldest, most tried-and-true of all the SSRI anti-depressants, and is almost impossible to “overdose” on or have other complications. My experience has definitely been positive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261203627991031/k2311a0312/3.12.09