Linksys WR54G Wireless Router
  • I have tinkered with the idea of adding an access gateway to increase connection strength, but I am not really sure if that is the problem as other inter-computer communications through the router generally work acceptably

• by James Fleming
      We are living in the age of wireless communications, and for those of us who utilize wireless networks wireless routers are extremely important. Linksys, whose parent company is Cisco, puts out routers that are not only quality but also extremely affordable. (My own Linksys WR54G wireless router only cost $50, which is just about the cheapest I have seen out there, at least for a name brand router). The router works well enough.

For wired connections it functions exactly as promised, the wireless connections can be a bit fidgety, though. Without any change on location of my computer or moving the antennae on the router I can get extremely different signal strengths. Even when it tells me my signal strength is good my internet connection (which is my primary reason for using the router) is not always as strong as I would like it.

Sometimes it moves even slower than a dial-up connection, which is disappointing. Generally speaking it works at an acceptable level, however. Setup for the router was a problem.

The software included on the CD-ROM that came with the purchase just did not want to work in setting up the router. Everything was set up as properly as I could imagine, then for some reason it would not pick up the internet connection before it moved to the final stage. Why this is I do not know.

I called Technical Support in order to find out what was going on, and was readily informed that I should use the setup software that is available on their web site rather than the setup software that comes with the CD. In order to connect to the internet I had to completely disconnect the router, log onto ...

• the internet then find the software and download, after which I was forced to go through the entire setup process again. This new software, however, was even easier to use than the first setup software and did in fact connect everything properly so that I was able to access the internet through my new router.

Why they did not include the software from their web site with the CD-ROM I have no idea. Had they done so I would have been much happier with the router, however such was just not the case. My dealings with technical support also left something to be desired: long hold times just to speak with a person whose English was not the most understandable (of course this has become the norm with tech support these days) for a problem that I should not have had in the first place, had

they simply given me the proper software to use with my product to begin with.

Beyond that the router has been working fairly well, aside from the aforementioned connection problems. I have tinkered with the idea of adding an access gateway to increase connection strength, but I am not really sure if that is the problem as other inter-computer communications through the router generally work acceptably. I have had some problems getting multi-player games to work through the router connection, however.

They start out all right but then in the middle of the game they just start slowing down until the game freezes and doesn’t even work. This is something else I have not been able to figure out. All in all this is an all right router, however I have a feeling that there are better routers out there in this world (although at a higher price, of course).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33110662720430/k2311a0611/6.11.06