Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort and Spa, Varadero, Cuba  » Hotels  »
Varadero, Cuba
  • Those of you who have vacationed at several four-plus star resorts in a variety of countries will probably agree with me when I say that there is little to distinguish the good ones from each another
  • But what makes this vacation destination unique is that I know I am in Cuba the minute I walk into the lobby

• by Jessie Bahrey

Those of you who have vacationed at several four-plus star resorts in a variety of countries will probably agree with me when I say that there is little to distinguish the good ones from each another: They all share a gorgeous ocean, which differs only slightly in colour and water temperature, depending on which ocean, and which part of that ocean, it happens to be situated on, they all have outstanding food and they all have

impeccable service. This service, in fact, is what many poorer countries rely on to keep bringing tourists back to their country, for their country’s very economic survival.

So what makes any resort stand out?

The Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort and Spa is simply deluxe in every way for which a resort is judged.

I have been a guest three times, and I hope to return in the future.

Of course, the turquoise, warm ocean is wonderful, the ...

• food at the buffet and the restaurant is next to none, the rum is smooth and the staff is beyond helpful and friendly.

The pools are crystal clear, the beach area is sandy, and I might add, have no vendors trying to sell you their goods, the nightly shows are only slightly annoying, and anything else you desire to do is available.

But what makes this vacation destination unique is that I know I am in

Cuba the minute I walk into the lobby.

Everything is distinctly Cuban, from the décor throughout the resort and in the rooms, to the Cuban restaurant serving traditional food.

The shows feature Cuban music and other entertainment, and there are wonderful Cuban bands in the bars.

The staff is proud of their Cuban heritage and will talk about their country with guests.

For me, Sandals rises above other resorts because it offers visitors a decidedly Cuban holiday.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 21103626980231/k2311a0311/3.11.09