Movie: “Risky Business”  » Movies  »
  • I wish there could have been an alternative, a sweet, innocent girl-next-door to offer a contrast to skanky Lana
  • I'll admit to biting my nails with anticipation to see how Joel would squirm his way out of his risky business

• by TJ Lord

Tom Cruise had his big break in “Risky Business” back in 1983, and I could see why: the movie is the ultimate coming-of-age story, with all the expect twists and turns.

Cruise plays awkward teenager Joel, who longs to be cool - he dreams of sex, money, and popularity. When his parents leave town, he

has the house to himself; and, at the urging of his buddies, he embarks to make all his dreams come true.

The trouble starts with the gorgeous prostitute, Lana, who I actually hated as a character. She was completely untrustworthy, and the more Joel gets involved with her, the worse his situation becomes: Lana steals ...

• from him, rolls his dad’s Porsche into the lake, turns his house into a whorehouse and throws a huge “prostitute party” when Joel is supposed to be having an interview for college - she’s a disaster in high heels. I loathed her as the love interest; I wish there could have been an alternative,
        a sweet, innocent girl-next-door to offer a contrast to skanky Lana.

All in all, a highly entertaining movie; I’ll admit to biting my nails with anticipation to see how Joel would squirm his way out of his risky business. He matures impressively as a character and it’s fascinating to watch him learn his hard lessons.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111003626170731/k2311a0310/3.10.09