Movie Faces of Death
  • It simply displays the aftermath of human life

• by TJ Lord

Supposedly banned in 46 countries, “Faces of Death” is an extremely controversial film that depicts just what it claims: death, in every imaginable circumstance. Using both real videos and skillful reenactments, “Faces of Death” takes the viewer where few dare to venture: into morgues, autopsy rooms, accident scenes, slaughterhouses, and death row.

I’d heard about this innovative film, but nothing could prepare me for what

I saw. I’m not a fan of gore; I watch horror films through my fingers. But I could not shake my gaze from “Faces of Death”. The difference? What I was seeing was REAL. Terrifyingly so. I wasn’t watching actors and fake blood: I was seeing people and animals actually losing their lives.

There are some well-known scenes, like the restaurant where patrons kill a ...

• live monkey and eat its brains; or the cult that cuts open a human sacrifice and devours the entrails. Just as disturbing are the deaths of animals: the cows’ throats cut in the slaughterhouse, the beheaded chicken flopping around the barnyard.

But to me, nothing was more horrific than the autopsy scenes. Nothing is spared: no bloody detail is too graphic for “Faces of Death”.

And nothing in the autopsy rooms is faked or reenacted. It simply displays the aftermath of human life: meat. Lifeless meat just lying around waiting to be cut open and investigated.

Did “Faces of Death” give me nightmares? Absolutely. But it gave me something else: a fierce new appreciation of life. It is not for the faint of heart, but it IS for the brave of soul.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111003626040731/k2311a0310/3.10.09