MahaLaxmi Temple Mumbai India  » Travel  »
Mumbai, India .
  • Those who comes to Mumbai will definitely visit this temple and takes the blessings of Goddess
  • At the central shrine I found three wonderful images of Goddesses Maha Kali, Maha Saraswathi and Maha Laxmi sitting side by side
  • The another interesting feature of this temple is a beach adjacent to this temple
  • We sat on the rocks of the beach and really enjoyed the panoramic view of Mumbai city

• by krishnakomali
      I have been to MahaLaxmi temple twice, when I was in Mumbai. This temple is most famous in Mumbai. Those who comes to Mumbai will definitely visit this temple and takes the blessings of Goddess. This temple is located at Breach candy, one of the busiest and posh areas in Mumbai. We caught local train from the place where we live and reached this place. It took us nearly one and half hour to reach this place.

There are various local trains, buses to this temple. Depending upon the route, it is better to select either train or bus. I entered into the temple after standing in a long queue awaiting my turn to worship. At the central shrine I found three wonderful images of Goddesses Maha Kali, Maha Saraswathi and Maha Laxmi sitting side by side. These images are made of gold and they look very

peculiar wearing large nose rings, necklaces and bangles.

I could able to see only their heads. I was really luckiest as I worshipped the goddess from very close distance. It is said that these three goddess are sources of Vidya( Skills and education), Shakti(Energy,daring) and sampada(wealth and luck). So devotees believe that by worshipping these goddesses one can get weatlth,energy and skills. There is a small history for this temple.

Around Two centuries back, when british were trying to build the construction Hornby Vellard, the portion of it collapsed twice. And the construction’s progress was stopped. During that time, the chief engineer Pathare Prabhu dreamt of a beautiful image of Goddess maha Laxmi in the sea near Worli, a place in Mumbai. Later they searched the statue and found it in the sea very next day. He later built a temple for it and the construction ...

• of Hornby vellard was completed successfully without any interruptions.

It is said that all three statues were found in the sea. After having the darshan , we came out and entered in to the temple premises. There is a long pole(Ganta Stambha) infront of the temple. I have seen devotees worshipping that pole with flowers. So I too joined the group and spend 10 minutes there.

After that we sat in the temple premises and shared the offerings of God given to us. By seeing the temple premises one can easily say that the temple was very old. The another interesting feature of this temple is a beach adjacent to this temple. There is a beautiful beach just adjacent to this temple. There is a way from the back side of this temple to go to the beach.

So we followed the group who are on the way

to beach. We sat on the rocks of the beach and really enjoyed the panoramic view of Mumbai city. we took some photo graphs there and captured most beautiful view of breach candy. At the entrance of the temple there are various shops selling flower garlands,coconuts and sweets. This is a busy complex.

This temple is daily visited by local devotees and pilgrims. There are very big queues daily and especially on week ends like Saturday and Sunday. The navaratri utsav( a festival of nine nights) is celebrated very grand here. During that festive season it is very difficult to have darshan. The temple becomes so crowded that you will not get even a space to place your leg during this season.

I really happy to visit such ancient temple . We received the blessings of Maxalaxmi and returned back in the same local train which we caught earlier.

raju says :

Why people stick coin ,back of temple ? Is any signifance of this at mahalaxmi temple?

Galega says :

Hi Raju,

Call it a superstition or faith of people, but sticking coin is rampant at Mahalaxmi Temple. The belief is this - when you stick and a coin with asking for one wish, then over time your wish will be fulfilled.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38100662400330/k2311a0610/6.10.06