2001 Chrysler Sebring a bad winter car  » Cars  »
1.0
  • It wasn't brand new obviously but it's her car and she uses it to get to work and go shopping, etc. For the most part, we have had no complaints about the purchase and I think I even spent a few minutes writing about the car in the past
  • However, I learned something recently that isn't a good thing in my opinion
  • Once the temperatures started dropping below freezing, we noticed the car wasn't starting as easily as it did in the summer
  • When we had the old battery tested, it did show it wasn't working 100 percent so we thought that would correct the problem
  • At least I know that one will start for her and she won't be left stranded in the parking lot at 11 pm in sub-zero temperatures

• by Steve

My wife and I purchased a 2001 Chrysler Sebring this past summer. It wasn’t brand new obviously but it’s her car and she uses it to get to work and go shopping, etc. For the most part, we have had no complaints about the purchase and I think I even spent a few minutes writing about the car in the past. However, I learned something recently that isn’t a good thing in my opinion; the car isn’t very reliable in the winter.

We live in Wisconsin where it is cold roughly 6 months out of the year. And, this winter has been especially

harsh. For example, when I left for work this morning, it was 18 below zero and about 40 below with wind chill.

My wife is three months pregnant and, because she works a lot of nights, needs a car she can depend on. The Sebring is turning out not to be that car. Once the temperatures started dropping below freezing, we noticed the car wasn’t starting as easily as it did in the summer.

We didn’t think much of it at the time because we figured it was an older battery and most older automobiles do have some issues in the cold. But,

• about a month ago, my wife had to be at work in the morning. The temperature at the time was about 10 degrees so I went out to start the car for her.

When I turned the key, I got nothing but a clicking noise. Figuring it was just an old battery, we replaced it (which turned out to be a major pain to do since you had to take the front tire off to access it). When we had the old battery tested, it did show it wasn’t working 100 percent so we thought that would correct the problem.

It didn’t. The

car still has a hard time cranking when the temperatures are below freezing. And, this morning, I tried to start it and was unable to.

Fortunately, she doesn’t have to be at work until later this evening or that might have caused some problems. As of right now, I feel I cannot trust this automobile in the winter months. When my wife goes to work tonight, I’m having one of my parents take her and then I’m going to drop off my car for her instead.

At least I know that one will start for her and she won’t be left stranded in the parking lot at 11 p. m. in sub-zero temperatures.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 9803623710131/k2311a038/3.8.09