The Maltese Falcon  » Movies  »
  • Even though the movie was made 34 years before I was born, it is still the best murder mystery ever
  • Humphrey Bogart is amazing as the detective Sam Spade
  • He has such charm and charisma and, I hate to say it (and definitely do not endorse it) but, whenever he lights up a cigarette in this movie, I feel the urge to do the same
  • If you haven't seen this film before, I definitely recommend renting it

• by Steve

I have seen dozens of mysteries but none of them compare to the movie The Maltese Falcon. Even though the movie was made 34 years before I was born, it is still the best murder mystery ever.

Humphrey Bogart is amazing as the detective Sam Spade.

There’s nothing to not love.

He has such charm and charisma and, I hate to say it (and definitely do not endorse it) but, whenever he lights up a cigarette in this movie, I feel the urge to do the same.

And, I don’t even smoke.

The plot does get a bit confusing at points because ...

• you have two separate storylines that intertwine.

You have Spade’s partner getting murdered and, shortly after, the guy he was tailing is found dead too; something that makes Spade a suspect in at least the latter’s death.

You have the woman who hired them who isn’t what she seems and you

have some men looking for an ancient statue (the Maltese Falcon) that has been missing for centuries.

But, they start making some sense toward the very end of the movie.

If you haven’t seen this film before, I definitely recommend renting it.

No other murder mystery will ever seem the same after watching this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11803623680131/k2311a038/3.8.09