Stargate SG-1: Hathor  » TV  »
  • There's a wonderful Jack and Daniel moment, when Jack is saving Daniel and calls him 'Danny', that I love
  • It was serious stuff they overlooked, and while I agree they shouldn't spend a lot of time on it, I do believe it at least deserved a mention

• by Orrymain

Stargate SG-1: Hathor in season 1 of the series is one that I actually like in some ways and one that is disturbing in other ways.

In this episode, the Goa’uld Hathor takes control of our very strong SG-1, and most other males at the SGC. Because the men are reduced to babbling, submissive beings, the actors don’t really like this episode. Michael Shanks will almost always list this show as the worst ever, if asked. At the same time, though, he credits the actress, Suanne Braun, with being the first to really

give a Goa’uld some depth and dimension.

When I first saw the show, I just thought it was great. There’s a wonderful Jack and Daniel moment, when Jack is saving Daniel and calls him ‘Danny’, that I love. There’s another moment when Teryl Rottery as Doctor Janet Fraiser gets to play Little Rambo, running around the SGC with her big gun. I laugh all the time. I’m certain she must have had a lot of fun filming it.

However, in retrospect, there were a couple of disconcerting things about this show, too.

• Mainly, Daniel Jackson is essentially raped by Hathor. There’s absolutely no follow up on this, no indication of just how traumatic that was for him, or that anyone even cared. In fact, just as I mention watching Janet as Little Rambo, it’s her scene with Daniel that bothers me. Janet and Sam have found the dazed Daniel after the rape. It’s obvious what had happened, and while Sam is very caring and concerned, Janet is just pointing that gun of hers and telling Sam they need to go.
        It was way out of character for Janet, and again at the end, when things are back to normal, she seems happier for the accommodation she and Sam are getting than worrying about how she failed to tend to Daniel.

So, while I still like the show (Sorry, Actors), it does have alarming oversights that weren’t even given the time of day by the powers that be. It was serious stuff they overlooked, and while I agree they shouldn’t spend a lot of time on it, I do believe it at least deserved a mention.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10703622201031/k2311a037/3.7.09