Black Dog  » Movies  »
  • Brenda Strong, now well known as the narrator for Desperate Housewives, played Patrick's wife, and I thought they were awesome together
  • I like her coupled with him almost more than his other movie pairings

• by Orrymain

Black Dog is an unexpected treat. It’s a movie that I’d normally never watch or even think about seeing, except for one thing — it stars my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze. Patrick made this movie right after recovering from a near fatal accident when he’d been thrown from his horse and made body-to-tree contact. The tree won, and Patrick lost. In fact, the doctors weren’t sure he’d walk, but he made a fairly quick recovery, and Patrick being Patrick, he had to go out and prove that

he could still be the man. How better to do that than in a good, old-fashioned action flick?

Black Dog was embraced by the country music industry and actually premiered in Nashville with a ton of publicity. Perhaps having Randy Travis as a co-star had something to do with it. In fact, Patrick sang background vocals on one song in Randy’s CD that was released about the same time. That had happened with Randy practicing and Patrick just sort of sitting in on a session while filming the ...

• movie.

The movie is all action. Semi-trucks are destroyed in abundance, but I actually liked the story. Brenda Strong, now well known as the narrator for Desperate Housewives, played Patrick’s wife, and I thought they were awesome together. I like her coupled with him almost more than his other movie pairings. There actually is a story here, sandwiched between the trucks being crushed.

Patrick drove semi-trucks once upon a time and surprised the producers by knowing his stuff and doing more driving then they’d thought he’d be able to

do. In fact, when the movie wrapped, they gifted him with a semi that he keeps at his California ranch, or at least did for a long time afterwards.

The music in Black Dog is very enjoyable, and Randy Travis did a nice supporting job. Patrick, as usual, was superb. Sometimes I feel guilty enjoying such an action film. The truth is, I watch it more than I do Dirty Dancing and Ghost, and that probably shocks a lot of people. What can I say? I love Black Dog.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11703621891031/k2311a037/3.7.09