Robert Urich  » People  »
  • I never met the man, but I believe he was a good man

• by Orrymain

Sometimes it’s hard to know what you have until you don’t have it anymore. The late Robert Urich was a very strong television actor, who brought entertainment and joy to fans for decades until cancer claimed his life. We were used to seeing him and maybe didn’t always appreciate his presence, until he just wasn’t there anymore.

Robert Urich was one of the actors who always seemed to have a TV series on the air. He was good looking — tall, handsome, and strong. He had an inviting voice, a sexy demeanor, and a good guy air about him that made him bankable to the TV powers

that be, not to mention to his many fans.

Though I’d seen him in other things before, where I first took notice of Robert Urich was on SWAT. He made one watchable cop, and his athleticism stood out. More TV work followed, but it was VEGAS that was the next stand out for me. The TV detective had a charisma that drew viewers in big numbers.

Other performances followed, including the wildly popular Spenser for Hire, though it was a short-lived series called Crossroads that really attracted me. It was a change of pace, a man reunited with his long lost son, setting off together on their motorcycles ...

• to cross America and get to know each other. It was a show about heart, but it just didn’t catch on.

Then in the mid-90’s something horrible happened, and Robert Urich contracted cancer. He fought hard and went into remission and actually starred in one more TV series, The Love Boat: The Next Wave. It didn’t go over very well, though I actually did like it.

Robert Urich continued to work until, bam, without a whole lot of warning, the cancer reached out and snuffed away his life, leaving behind a wife, children, and many sad fans, who were all shocked at the sudden loss. There’d been no warning;

no hint that things had taken a turn for the worse.

Today, his fans continue to talk to each other over the internet, sharing memories and talking about his work. He left a mark, of viewable, entertaining television. I have no doubts that he’d have a slew of more series had we not lost him in ‘02. He had the charm, grace, and goodness that America liked to watch.

I never met the man, but I believe he was a good man. I saw him on various talk shows while he was fighting his cancer and then in remission. He was a valiant warrior. He is missed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 52703621651031/k2311a037/3.7.09