8MM (R- 1999) movie  » Movies  »
    • Item: 8MM (R-1999) movie Location: by: Famous

Nicholas Cage is just an “OK” actor to me. I’ve seen him do really great work (”Leaving Las Vegas”). But when heard that he was starring in a really dark film about snuff films, I had to see this.

I started watching, and was fine with the slow beginning.

The film picks up in intensity, but not very much.

There are quite a few holes in the story. And I just wasn’t convinced that Nicholas’ character was as heartsickened by the filth as the directors would have the audience to believe.

Joaquim Phoenix’s role was too small. I felt that he was the only ...

• one in the film who really gave the movie any “zest”.

The rest of the movie feels bland, even though it’s about a really disturbing subject. Also, I could have completely done without Catherine Keener’s role.

But I figured that the character was necessary, in order to contrast the two worlds that Tom Welles (Cage)

is involved in. I actually purchased this movie because I thought that another couple viewings would make me feel differently about it.

IT did not. However, it’s not so bad that I’ll sell it or trade it.

Boring Sunday afternoon fodder is what this film has become for me. See it –but don’t expect much.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1170662090530/k2311a067/6.7.06