Frontline Plus for Dogs  » Pets  »
  • We have 10 dogs, so you can just imagine the problem that fleas and ticks present
  • The powder also presented some disadvantages (and hazards) on its own
  • I was supposed to use one applicator per dog but since Frontline Plus seemed so expensive and I wasn't sure what adverse reactions it might cause, I decided to divide the two applicators equally among the dogs, using more on the bigger ones
  • A few drops of the liquid works like a dream, which means that even with the cost, it's worth every cent
  • It could cause irritation upon direct contact in certain individuals and a few dogs might experience itching, redness or slight inflammation on the area where the product was applied

• by Alex

We have 10 dogs, so you can just imagine the problem that fleas and ticks present. Once these pests infest one dog, it will only take a matter of days before they infect all. At first, I tried to fight back with the use of anti-flea and tick soaps. When that didn’t work, I changed to more expensive and thicker anti-tick and flea shampoos reinforced with anti-tick and flea powder. That seemed to control the itching but hardly killed the pests — they simply recovered and laid more eggs.

The powder also presented some disadvantages (and hazards) on its own. It had to be applied directly onto the skin, according to the instructions, which meant parting the dog’s fur and sprinkling the powder. The dogs were okay about it for a while but the ritual took a few minutes to complete. It bothered the dogs, who didn’t like to stay in one

place for such a long time and it bothered me. The powder irritated my nose and mouth, which meant I had to apply it with a face mask on.

When subsequent attempts at conquering the ticks and fleas with homemade all-natural pesticides failed, I simply gave up and finally bought two applicator units of Frontline Plus. I was supposed to use one applicator per dog but since Frontline Plus seemed so expensive and I wasn’t sure what adverse reactions it might cause, I decided to divide the two applicators equally among the dogs, using more on the bigger ones.

I wasn’t expecting it to work the way it did because of the dosage I used. To my surprise, it took less than a week for Frontline Plus to prove its worth. The dogs stopped scratching, the fleas disappeared and the ticks — or at least those that were stubborn enough to cling to their host, shriveled away.

Active ingredients: 9.8% fipronil 8.8% (S)-methoprene 81.4% inert ingredients

Pros and Cons Pros - Bottomline, Frontline Plus works as promised. In fact, it worked way better than its manufacturers claimed. It’s formulated to stop chewing lice and several types of fleas such as deer fleas, lone star, brown dog and American dog ticks. It kills ticks and fleas by preventing them from laying eggs. In case there are eggs already present, Frontline Plus kills the newly hatched pests. The cycle of egg-laying and maturation of these pests is effectively broken.

Area of application is limited. Frontline Plus need only to be applied on the skin between the dog’s shoulder blades. Applicator comes with a tip you can snap or cut off.

What I liked about the product is that even with the risk of reinfection present, the dogs continued to be free from fleas and ticks 8 months after the ...

• Frontline Plus for Dogs
      initial application. This, even when instructions at the back of the box recommended a re-application after 3 months.

A few drops of the liquid works like a dream, which means that even with the cost, it’s worth every cent. In the Philippines, Frontline Plus starts at around P395, with formulations for extra large dogs (those weighing up to 132lbs) costing more. The applicators also come in several dosages, from small dog breeds to extra large breeds, so regardless of the breeds and sizes of the dogs you keep, they’re covered. If you have young dogs, there is a formulation you can use for puppies.

Frontline Plus can also be applied on pregnant or lactating bitches, so you keep them safe from infestation when breeding. If your dog has sarcoptic mange, you’ll be glad to know that Frontline Plus also helps control it.

Cons - Frontline Plus is easily absorbed even by human skin, so application has

to be performed with gloves on. If you’re not wearing any, then at least be careful not to get the liquid onto your skin. Wash off immediately if it does.

Frontline Plus is a clear liquid, very slightly viscous, which means that if you’re not careful during application, it could run. Make sure to hold the dog steady (or have someone do it) while you part the fur and apply the liquid directly onto the skin. If liquid stays on the hair, it won’t work as well. Avoid using on puppies younger than 8 weeks.

Frontline Plus also contains an irritant, both to your pet and you. It could cause irritation upon direct contact in certain individuals and a few dogs might experience itching, redness or slight inflammation on the area where the product was applied.

Frontline Plus is also considered as a pesticide, which means you have to follow strict instructions on how to store and dispose of the container properly.

Frontline Plus for Dogs
Sharon says :

We got some frontline plus for our 10 pound dog, but they got us the package for dogs that weigh45-88 pounds can I still use it?

Alex P replies :

If you can`t return it to the store for a refund or a replacement, I suggest you use it but not all of it. Your 10-pound dog doesn`t need all that medication. Use about a fourth of the medication on your dog or around 0.60 mL to 0.70mL. Dogs that weigh 45 to 88 lbs. need about 2.5mL to 2.8mL. Keep the rest in a dark or amber-colored bottle that you can seal tightly. The key here is to avoid exposure to air, sunlight and moisture so the Frontline Plus solution keeps its potency. That`s what I did with the excess solution I used to have and it worked fine. If you`re in doubt, please check with your vet as well. Thanks

Sue Maska says :

I put the contents in one large Frontline Plus for Dogs and use it on my dog and cats. As little as .3 seems to work for the cats, 1.5 ml for my 30lb dog. I wish everyone knew this so they could keep their homes free of fleas without spending a fortune. I wish we also could feel better about using it, that we weren`t risking our pets health, not that it`s almost worth it to stay free of fleas. Would you recommend lesser dosage more regularly or is there a certain minimum required to be effective?

Chris says :

Hi I’ve been reading positive reviews about this product. I just want to ask - is this advisable for 8 week old puppies who had their first vaccine shots at 6 weeks? it’s the first shot of the puppies (july 22), 2nd shot is after 2-4 weeks.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

sarahdragon26 says :

Hi, Chris. My first suggestion would be to ask a Vet. I would call the clinic or office where you got the puppies’ shots and ask them what would be the best course of action. In my experience with my dogs, I didn’t start using products like Frontline until I spoke with my vet and asked what would be best for my dog. I’ve had Vets tell me what was good for one of my dogs is not good for the other. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Christine says :

It would always be best to consult your vet first before doing anything. Normally there’s a strict timing involved here and vets would of course know this very well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29503619060731/k2311a035/3.5.09