A Cheaper Travel to Boracay Islands  » Travel  »
Caticlan, Panay, Western Visayas Philippines
  • It was just a very short and swift boat travel that I did not even noticed we were there already at the island
  • But, it must be noted that wherever resort one chooses to stay, the same kind of excellent beach could be freely enjoyed
  • While there are beaches in the Philippines that could in a way compare in some aspects, I'd say the crystal clearness of the shallow water is still the best

• by ladyli

I’ve just discovered a very practical and cheaper way to enjoy Boracay Island. The very famous tropical island located 200 miles south of Manila where the beach is being claimed by the tourists as the finest in Asia. I just arrived from our 3 days 2 nights visit of the place. This visit though comparatively cheaper has been completely enjoyable.

We were enticed to travel to this place as we got a cheap promo rate from Zest Airt. It is a round trip ticket at only Php1,500 (or $31 +) per head from Manila to Caticlan via Zest Air. This Carrier is only a small plane with a capacity of only around 30 persons. This rate is cheap and so you should not expect the luxury of a much higher rate given by other bigger Carrier such as Philippine Airlines. As the plane is comparatively smaller, our air travel has not been as smooth as in the bigger plane. I did for many times feel the air pressure. But anyway that was tolerable although a bit disturbing. We traveled for 48 minutes till we reached Caticlan. Then, we took a tricycle at P100 (less than $2) that brought us to the Caticlan port where we rode the ferry boat at P125 each to bring us to the Boracay island. It was just a very short and swift boat travel that I did not even noticed we were there already at the island. Once on the island, we saw 3 choices to move to the resort, the tricycles, pedicab, rented motorbikes and bicycles,

and I also some hotel shuttle services. We did not see taxicabs there and hence we opted for the tricycle at P100 for the 4 of us.

Then we were brought to the Ban’s resort. We had pre-arranged our accommodation but we never paid deposit. We just arranged by phone and because it was not peak season we were allowed to just do the payment as we checked in. We rented a 2 cottage for the 4 of us at the rate of P6,600 for 3 days 2 nights stay. The cottage is fair enough for the rate. The cottages are arranged in a curve and in the middle is a garden. The cottage we rented has 2 beds. We were also given extra bed without any charge. It is not so big but the 4 of us felt already comfortable with the air-conditioned and clean place with a comfortable bathroom. The resort is just an average and not as luxurious as the expensive hotels in the island but for us who were but looking for a cheaper way to enjoy the place that has been a fairly good deal already. The beach front anyway is just as beautiful as those as the other expensive resorts and even much safer as it is not rocky as the one we’ve seen while walking around. Also the resort staffs have been very hospitable. There is no swimming pool but it was okay because the magnificent beach was the main reason we went there anyway.

The Boracay actually is a small island with a very long stretch of white ...

• sand beach where one could find around 350 resorts to choose from. But, it must be noted that wherever resort one chooses to stay, the same kind of excellent beach could be freely enjoyed. The very distinctive crumbly white sand and the crystal clear water is all yours wherever resort you go. The only difference is if you really want a very elegant room to stay and modernized amenities then the expensive hotel resorts should be your option. Well, we were only staying at the cottage during the nights anyway as we were so busy exploring this very captivating island so the we were already contented with our accommodation. The Ban’s resort is conveniently located to a brief walking distance to all other shops, restaurants and fancy activities around so that was one advantage we so enjoyed.

We hopped from one resort to another and took souvenir photo of every wonderful spot. I just noticed that there were donation boxes in almost every manmade spot as in the grotto and the likes and I felt quite guilty if I would not drop a coin or two. There are lots of shopping stalls to choose from but the items are as and sometimes even more expensive than in the malls. The souvenir shirts for children were at P150 each and slippers at P150 to 200. The cloth bags ranges from P150 to P250. We saw a man skillfully hand-painting T-shirts which are sold at P400 each. The restaurants or food stalls are everywhere and for as long as you have the money you can’t go hungry. At P60 to

P100 you can already get a value meal and if you want more choices you just have to shell out more just like we do in the food courts of the shopping malls. I also saw ATM machines and pay phones around. Indeed the island has been made really well equipped with necessities of every visitor. The whole island was a mixture of people of different culture. There were lots of foreigners who various languages other than English. This explains why there are restaurants that serve also variety of foreign foods like Eurpeans, Korean, Spanish, Japanese, English, Chinese, European and many more.

At night we would briefly go out to see how the beach turned into one big noisy street party. Each bar has a way of enticing customers. I saw homosexuals doing exotic fire dancing and a lot more gimmicks around. People drinking, dining and dancing are too noisy and not our type of atmosphere so after some few minutes of looking around, we’d go back to the cottage to sleep instead of mixing with the noisy crowd.

I would say that Boracay is a stunning beauty and would certainly go back to this place again and again. While there are beaches in the Philippines that could in a way compare in some aspects, I’d say the crystal clearness of the shallow water is still the best. I also love the fine white sand that looked so clean and bright even from afar. During the 3 days stay we stayed most of the time in the beach to fully enjoy its fantastic beauty and that alone is worth all the money spent.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38503619010731/k2311a035/3.5.09