The Spiderwick Chronicles  » Movies  »
  • Their father has left and the family is just trying to make the best of a bad situation
  • Yes, she gets smacked aside but in fairness she was going against an ogre and I think that was more a case of them being much stronger then us puny humans
  • If you're a fan of fantasy, I suggest checking this movie out
  • I know there's been a plethora of film adaptations, but this one is actually worth while and able to be enjoyed by the whole family

• by David Finniss

When my roommate rented this, I was expecting another Eragon, an unoriginal fantasy that rehashes the same elements that we’ve seen before. The fact that this movie was brought to us by the same studio that gave us “Good Burger” did nothing to squelch my fear that we were about to endure a bad movie.

I’m pleased to say that this is not the case. It doesn’t have the same epic scope of the Narnia or LotR movies, but it’s a good and simple story.

The movie focuses on Jared Grace and his siblings, Simon and Mallory. They move into a house given to them by a little known relative. Their father has left and the family is just trying

to make the best of a bad situation.

Odd things start to happen and it gets weirder after Jared opens up an unusual book.

Most fantasy creatures make an appearance here, goblins, an ogre, even a griffin (which was freakin sweet). Still, it’s presented in a different light here and they even provide an explanation for how all these things go unnoticed.

The characters are well developed, there’s a solid story structure, and the movie never violates its own rules for the sake of a deus ex machina or anything like that.

Early on, the older sister, Mallory is shown to be a capable fencer. In my head, I predicted that she would get kidnapped as per the rules of the Faux Action Girl/Dumbass ...

• in Distress Disorder trope. Going against the grain, she doesn’t get held captive at all. Yes, she gets smacked aside but in fairness she was going against an ogre and I think that was more a case of them being much stronger then us puny humans.

Even more surprising is how dark and violent this movie is. It’s kiddy gore, the goblins bleed green goo, but still, eyes are gouged out and the monsters, while not created with the best CGI, can be seen as scary to younger viewers.

The choice of weapons was odd. I mean, lining the windows with salt made sense as that is supposed to ward off ghosts and evil spirits, but tomato sauce? I

guess there are worse products they could’ve used, but it was weird.

Actually, this whole movie is pretty weird. Fantasy lends itself to weird creatures and we get plenty here.

One thing to note is that Freddie Highmore plays both Jared and Simon. They looked similar, and it occured to me that they were real brothers, but I didn’t think it was the same kid doing both roles. I give him credit as he made them both distinctive and specific in terms of performance.

If you’re a fan of fantasy, I suggest checking this movie out. I know there’s been a plethora of film adaptations, but this one is actually worth while and able to be enjoyed by the whole family.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11503618550631/k2311a035/3.5.09