Epiphone “Gothic” SG guitar  » Other  »
  • These seem incredible cheap and I don't like them one bit

• by rob

I recently picked up one of these guitars used with a cracked headstock that had been repaired. I had to do a bit of paint and sanding, then a complete set-up including a truss rod adjustment.

Considering this is a lower end guitar ($200-300) and it has had a cracked repaired, it plays beautifully. The intonation is perfect, the action is great. The only little nitpick is the nut is a little high, but that can be filed down.

It comes with Grover tuners which is kind of a shock on a cheaper guitar. This guitar does stay in

tune quite well and I am not a light player.

The whole point of the gothic series is just that, all black and evil looking. Flat black paint, black hardware. the only thing that isn’t black is the volume and tone knobs. These seem incredible cheap and I don’t like them one bit. I will be replacing them with 4 knurled black knobs to continue with the black theme.

The flat black finish does look good, BUT in high wear areas, the paint will actually wear and become polished over time. If someone was that concerned, I’m sure it ...

• could be scuffed up.

The neck is a rosewood fretboard with a simple roman numeral XII at the 12th fret, that’s it. The fret end finish is pretty good and I don’t find myself catching my hand on it. It is a nech through.

The hardware is your typical tune-o-matic style bridge which works well. The intonation has stayed were I set it, so that’s a good sign.

I have no idea what kind of wood the body is, but there is a clear dip on the back of the body where the planks were glued together. i wish the

would have planed it better, but it’s only visual and doesn’t affect the playing at all.

Sound wise, it has alot of sustain. The pick-ups are ok for what they are, but and upgrade is recommended. The body is very light and there isn’t alot of lowend, but the neck pick-up has a great fat tone for solos…..just not alot of output volume.

For a beginner or intermediate player this is an awesome playing/looking guitar especially for the price.

I don’t know if they still make these new, but if you can find one, definantly add it to your collection!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12403617801131/k2311a034/3.4.09