Angels Delight  » Pets  »
  • I was completely oblivious to the the concept of dog tear staining until I bought Oz the bichon home
  • After a couple of months I noticed that the fur under his eyes was becoming a rusty reddish colour
  • The problem is compounded by the fact that bichons have short noses, this means that the tears fall onto the face rather than falling off the nose
  • I have to admit that I did feel guilty about using an antibiotic to deal with a cosmetic issue
  • Angels Delight did cost a little more than the Angels Eyes to begin with but in the longer term it works out cheaper

• by bichon1

I was completely oblivious to the the concept of dog tear staining until I bought Oz the bichon home.

After a couple of months I noticed that the fur under his eyes was becoming a rusty reddish colour. I must admit that I was concerned enough to take him to the vet. The vet game me one of those “you’re a first time bichon owner aren’t you?”

He explained that many small dogs have under developed tear ducts. This means that the tears run onto the fur rather than going back into the ducts to be recycled. The problem is compounded by the fact that bichons have short noses, this means that the tears fall onto the face rather than falling off the nose. He offered to perform surgery to enlarge the tear ducts but I couldn’t face the idea of my baby going through that.

After hours of trawling through bichon forums I was armed with a list of potential tear stain remover products. I started off with various pastes that you apply- wait to go dry and them brush off. These helped a little

but I was worried about the stuff getting into his eyes.

A groomer recommended a product called Angels Delight- you had to order it from America. She swore by it so I ordered some. When it arrived I was suprised to discover that it only had two ingredients- Beef liver and Tylosin tartrate.

Even I had an incling that the beef on its own would do nothing for the stains so I googled the tylosin.

I was shocked to discover that tylosin is an antibiotic- I was also more than a tad annoyed that no one had told me. Never-the-less I trusted my groomer so I did some deeper research after which I was satisfied that tylosin is safe for dogs in the short term.

I used Angels Eyes off and on for a couple of years. It cleared the stains completely after 4 weeks. I have to admit that I did feel guilty about using an antibiotic to deal with a cosmetic issue.

All was fine and dandy until one day I got a letter from the UK customs saying that Angels Eyes is illegal and that ...

• they would not let my order in.

I was devistated- what would I do now?

Off I went back to google. I found the Bichon Hotel site which explained why the ban had come in. It turns out that Tylosin has never been approved for use on dogs and that technically it is not legal anywhere in the world. In the USA the FDA turn a blind eye as they have no evidence of harm to dogs and they have bigger issues to deal with. Bichon Hotel used to sell Angels Eyes until the ban. They mentioned that they were already trialling a natural and holistic tear staining product called Angels Delight.

I figured that I had nothing to lose and opted in to the trial. A bottle of powder arrived in the post a couple of days later. I duly sprinkled it on to Oz’s food twice a day for the first two weeks and then once a week for the next three weeks. 5 weeks later, as promised the tear stains were gone. Now I just use it once a

week.

Angels Delight was designed to help with skin, cataracts and bowel conditions. The fact that it is great at stopping the tear stains was a happy coincidence.

The science behind it is as follows- your dogs tears have oxidising metallic elements in them- they get these from their food and water. These elements are food for the bacteria that lives in the tears. The two combined provide an enzyme that is is the basis of a red yeast. The red yeast is the cause of the red stains. To prevent the red yeast you can either use an antibiotic (eg. Angels Eyes) to kill the bacteria or you can oxidise the the metals inside the body before they enter the tears (this is how Angels Delight works).

Angels Delight did cost a little more than the Angels Eyes to begin with but in the longer term it works out cheaper. The costs are outweighed by the fact that it is a great vitamin boost. If I had deeper pockets I would use Angels Delight every day, for health as well as tear stain reasons.

dazza says :

Thanks for the heads up about Angels Delight Do you need to use this stuff forever?

Mrs a strachan says :

I have just started using angels delight but would like to know if you stop using when stains disappear or continue with same amount or less. If so, how much and how often?

karen says :

Amazing isnt it how many log ins those distributing AD have across the net…. angel delight IS MADE BY AROMACARENATURALPRODUCTS.COM it has NEVER BEEN MADE BY THOSE AT BICHON HOTEL. They distributed it and set the selling prices to you. It was sold to them for 75 per kilo…. its made still by aromacarenaturalproducts.com they can be contacted via their site they sell 1 kilo packaged for resale in 5 jars for 150 THIS IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER FOOD SUPPLEMENT

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29403617100431/k2311a034/3.4.09