Film The Tenant  » Movies  »
  • Fortunately, I like the weird and enjoyed this film tremendously

• by selphiealmasy8

I first time I heard of Roman Polanski’s The Tenant was from my mother who had ventured into a movie theater many years ago with a friend who had an affinity for avant-garde fair.

The Tenant still lived in infamy to this day and I grew up from childhood to adulthood with my mom’s constant statements that it was the weirdest film she had ever seen.

Only recently did I actually see the film that I had spent years hearing about for myself.

Being a Polanski film there was much more going on then my mother could possibly describe. I do not remember her, for instance, ever saying anything about a couple’s trip to the theater (I could possibly have been too young for that, I would guess) or about the main character’s cross-dressing period.

The film concerns a man named Trelkovsky (Polanski) renting an apartment building that use to belong to a woman named Simone. Simone threw herself from the apartment’s window and ...

• Trelkovsky sees her, shortly before she dies, in the hospital. Trelkovsky is unnerved by the woman’s reaction but enchanted by her female friend, Stella (Isabella Adjani). As time goes by, Trelkovsky suspects that the other tenants in Simone’s apartment drove Simone to suicide and are attempting to do the same to him.

Polanski films lend themselves well to multiple interpretation. At least, it seems that everyone has their own theory. My own belief is that Trelkovsky’s constant claims throughout the film are

mistaken on quite a few levels.

The atmosphere the director/star created is moody. It lends itself quite well to Trelkovsky’s feelings of paranoia. There is a late-night bathroom trek that is downright creepy and provides a very big clue at the same time. The casting is good as well. Polanski is fine, Adjani a stand-out and Shelley Winters also appears as another tenant.

My mother still looks at this film as weird. It is. Fortunately, I like the weird and enjoyed this film tremendously.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11303616870831/k2311a033/3.3.09