Movie: Penelope  » Movies  »
  • My wife and I enjoyed it and I would give it a 7 out of 10

• by shawn the writer

“Penelope” is a small-budget movie that was apparently released sometime in 2008, although I do not remember any advertising for the movie. Anyway, my wife and I rented it this past weekend. It was a surprisingly charming ‘modern day fairy tale’ staring Christina Ricci and James McAvoy. Reese Witherspoon, who produced the movie, has a small role in the movie as well.

Ricci plays the

title character who was born with a pig snout instead of a normal nose as the result of a curse from five generations past. Yes, it sounds very silly but the movie does not take itself too seriously and does not bog down in too many specifics. We meet Penelope very quickly and after about ten minutes you tend to look past the fake pig ...

• nose. Basically, the curse can only be lifted if another of her kind (bluebloods) will accept her as she is. So her parents have tried for years to convince young men from the upper class to marry Penelope, with no success.

There are several subplots involved, including a midget missing one eye and a nasty little preppy guy who is incredibly mean to Penelope, but most

of the movie resolves around Penelope meeting McAvoy’s character and wondering whether he can actually accept her, nose and all.

This movie was very clean, with virtually nothing to offend. It is only ninty minutes long and would be appropriate for young children over the age of four or so. My wife and I enjoyed it and I would give it a 7 out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11303616130531/k2311a033/3.3.09