Cricket Mobile Broadband Service
0.5
  • Since I take college classes online and am not always at home near my broadband connection, I thought I would give it a go
  • I noticed I had only one bar of signal on the indicator, which I found weird
  • After reading on other websites, I see that this is a common problem, and Cricket has done nothing to resolve it
  • I do not recommend this service to anybody

• by Gabriele Sturmer

I was at my local shopping mall and saw a display for Cricket Mobile’s unlimited mobile broadband service. The whole deal looked good at first. It offered unlimited mobile broadband service through a USB modem that was only $39.

99 a month, pretty good compared to ATT and Verizon which charge $60 for service with a 5 GB cap. There was also a deal going on that gave you your first month’s service free and free activation.

The USB

modem itself was also discounted to $39 dollars after mail in rebate. I was told my area had great service and that I would have very fast internet service from this modem.

Since I take college classes online and am not always at home near my broadband connection, I thought I would give it a go. I purchased the modem and took it home to install the software provided on CD-ROM.

I got everything set up and connected to ...

• activate the service, a process which failed several times. After about a half hour it was complete, and I was connected.

I noticed I had only one bar of signal on the indicator, which I found weird. I tried to do a simple search on google, and the request timed out.

After a few more tries, I finally was able to get on a website to do a speed test for my internet and the speed was going

at 6 kb/sec, about as slow as dialup! My connection was dropped again and when I did get back online, I had a horrible connection that was unstable and didn’t work half the time. I had to call cricket and cancel my service because they do not offer what they guarantee.

After reading on other websites, I see that this is a common problem, and Cricket has done nothing to resolve it. I do not recommend this service to anybody!

CW says :

I have been using cricket broadband for about a year now and have had many many problems. First of all unlimited is false advertising to me when they slow me down to the speed of a snail about a week to 10 days before my bill is due. They say its usually because I exceeded my monthly limit?? On something that`s supposed to be UNLIMITED? Let`s say you don`t pay your bill on time but go in a week later to have it reinstated, they will charge you the full months bill plus 3 to pay in the store. Then you have to go back and call customer service to have them prorate you for the time it wasn`t on or they won`t prorate you at all. Customer service told me one day that they are in bangladesh WTF when I call customer service I want to speak to someone who talks GOOD ENGLISH Have a bridge pay in place? Forget about talking to customer service on the phone because the automated system will kindly let you know you have a bridge pay in place and promptly hang up on you, yet the idiots in bangladesh act as if they have no clue the automated system does that. They are also constantly changing thier plans, they change them like 3 times a year atleast, now they expect you to pay 45, 55 or 65 a month for internet service with the higher one having more usage of course. They also without informing customers, stopped sending paper bills and I can never seem to view my bill online or get it e-mailed to me. I have to drive to the store and have them print me out a bill. At one point I didn`t pay my bill for 2 months because I was looking into trying to get AT T or Windstream with no luck so I had no choice but to go back to cricket, when I did I was charged 60 to reactivate my service. They rob you blind with the 3 instore fee when you go pay your bill, the customer service sucks and I have argued with them to the point that one day I asked for the number to corporate so I can just call and bitch at the source now. Bottom line I would NOT RECOMMEND cricket broadband to anyone

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 21103614760931/k2311a031/3.1.09