Portable Drive and Storage Maxtor OneTouch 4  » Hardware  »
  • Before I bought Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ 4, I have been using Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ II with 300GB, which has been and still is working fine for 2 years now
  • Before I made the decision, I was comparing different brands and specifications, but I still ended up choosing Maxtor because it gives me not even one single problem over the last 2 years that I have been using its product

• by FairReviewJoe

I am into video editing so I need lots and lots of storage space for my digital video and related work files. Maxtor is a brand I have used for many years and it is reliable. Before I bought Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ 4, I have been using Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ II with 300GB, which has been and still is working fine for 2 years now. Because I am pressing for more space, I need to get another one. Before I made the decision, I was comparing different brands and specifications, but I still ended up choosing Maxtor because it gives me not even one single problem over the last 2 years that I have been using its product. So, I bought the Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ 4 with 500 GB.

The Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ 4 is a plug-n-play type of product. The package is very simple. Once you open it, you will see a black oblong shaped, tower-like piece of gadget. Then there

is a USB cable that connects the Maxtor to your computer. The other piece of item in the package is the adaptor, which comes with different plugs for different voltage use. There is no software disc or anything like that. That is what I really like about it. If they give you a disc, you have to place it at a place where you need to look for it later. You may lose it if you are a disorganized person or someone with a poor memory. The software you need is actually in the drive itself. Quite an ingenious idea!

Once you take out all the items and plug everything in the proper place, you are ready to use the drive. There is no on-off switch on the drive. The moment you switch on the plug power, the drive starts running. Your computer should be able to detect the drive. That is another feature that makes things easy.

• Once the computer detects the drive, a dialog box appears asking you to choose what to open. Scroll to folder and view what is already in the drive. You will see the software you need in the drive already. Double-click the ‘Launch’ Application to launch the program. A dialog box will appear, giving you a choice of 5 languages, namely English, Francais, Espanol, Italiano, and Deutsch. It is so simple and sleek. Just click the language of your choice. Then, another screen appears, giving you a choice of 3 items, namely, Install Maxtor OneTouch, User Guides, and Product Registration. If you want to use the backup function of the drive, you simply click on ‘Install Maxtor OneTouch’ to install the backup feature. Installation is a breeze. If you do not want to install it now, you can still use the drive. If you do install it, it will automatically prompt you to register your drive online.

Once you

install the program, you will see a little green round icon with a letter M at the taskbar. Double-click it and a folder-like screen appears showing your OneTouch 4 drive and indicating the model and amount of free space available. On the top left of the screen, you will see ‘Backup’. Click on it to choose between ‘Simple Backup’ or ‘Custom Backup’. Again it is so straightforward that any lay person can figure out what to do. ‘Simple Backup’ only backup your ‘My Documents’ contents. ‘Custom Backup’ is where you can specify various folders like ‘My Documents’, ‘Desktop’, ‘My Favorites’, and ‘C’ drive for backup. Once again, it is so easy to use.

The Maxtor OneTouchâ„¢ 4 is such a well-designed, simple and easy to use device. You don’t need to worry about connecting it because it so straightforward. You don’t need to worry about complicated installation. Buy it, plug it in and use it. That’s all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33103614650931/k2311a031/3.1.09