Nike + iPod Sports Kit (for iPod Nano)  » Electronics  »
  • As both a fitness enthusiast and newcomer to the iPod revolution (it took me a while I know, but I did sell my technological soul in the end) I really do think that this is a great concept
  • At a cost of £15, this sports kit comes in 2 parts
  • The little transmitter might be small but it is durable and definitely designed to withstand the ongoing pounding from sweaty feet
  • But I guess that is my own issue and not necessarily a negative point about this product
  • That said, I think that running enthusiast will like this product and for the price I do think it worth checking out

• by LSK

As both a fitness enthusiast and newcomer to the iPod revolution (it took me a while I know, but I did sell my technological soul in the end) I really do think that this is a great concept; especially as I saw it as another opportunity for me to push myself further during these long winter months.

At a cost of £15, this sports kit comes in 2 parts. The first part is the neat little transmitter which tucks nicely inside your running shoe which, I should add, does not necessarily have to be a Nike shoe! The second part is a receiver unit which connects to your iPod Nano. Basically, the transmitter sends information to your

iPod via the receiver which enables you to track various aspects of your performance either against set targets or as a monitor of your stats during your run.

I have found that this is actually a very useful piece of kit, which does actually do what it says on the label. The little transmitter might be small but it is durable and definitely designed to withstand the ongoing pounding from sweaty feet. I also found it easy to set it up and had it operationally ready in a very short space of time. The information which is displayed is also very clear and easy to read.

I am a naturally competitive person and therefore find products like this very good ...

• for my personal motivation. I mean, this thing measures a whole range of features from distance covered to average speed! However, whilst I was running the other day I was wondering whether I actually prefer this to my Polar sports watch whilst the two products measure different things I did start to wonder whether I had taken this whole performance measuring thing one step too far!

But I guess that is my own issue and not necessarily a negative point about this product. However, a definite negative and a big one, in my opinion is that the transmitter is not rechargeable! Apparently you get about a years life out of it if

you run consistently; in a world where we can pretty much recharge everything I do think that this is unacceptable. But that said I do think that is part of the reason why it is so affordable and maybe it would cost a lot more if you were able to recharge it.

Overall I would give this product a score of 8 out of 10. It is good value for money and functions well enough. But the inability to recharge is a let down in my opinion as you would effectively have to buy another one in about a years time. That said, I think that running enthusiast will like this product and for the price I do think it worth checking out.

Howard Allweiss says :

Does this system require specific Nike sneakers or is it compatible with any brand sneaker?

John says :

The sensor will work with any type of shoe. You just need to find a place to put the sensor.

Galega says :

You have to find out whether the different brand you are buying is compatible or not. That will be your responsibility. This system is designed for Nike Sneakers. It can work with other brand, if that is compatible. But, Nike will not be responsible for that. You will have to find out on your own.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162802613160428/k2311a0228/2.28.09