Pentax K200D Digital Camera
  • When I think about all of the digital camera brands out there I would have never thought about Pentax not because it is a poor brand (in fact it is more like the opposite) but because I consider Pentax to be one of those highly specialized brands which I tend to forget about as it doesn't actually product anything else which I immediately think of
  • So with this in mind you can imagine my surprise when my mum came into the living room on Christmas day with her Pentax K200D, a monster of a digital camera which cost her all of £460
  • The first thing which I noticed about this camera is the style
  • I tend to like retro-styled electronics and this is definitely styled like one of those old-school cameras
  • Personally I believe that this camera is unnecessarily complicated to use

• by LSK

When I think about all of the digital camera brands out there I would have never thought about Pentax not because it is a poor brand (in fact it is more like the opposite) but because I consider Pentax to be one of those highly specialized brands which I tend to forget about as it doesn’t actually product anything else which I immediately think of. So with this in mind you can imagine my surprise when my mum came into the living room on Christmas day with her Pentax K200D, a monster of a digital camera which cost her all of £460.

The first thing which I noticed about this camera is the style. I tend to like retro-styled electronics and this is definitely styled like one of those old-school cameras. It

is a big and very solid camera with a large protruding lens. Whilst I actually like the style (my siblings hated it) I do think that it is also unusually heavy, especially when compared to all of those compact lightweight cameras available on the market (and at a fraction of the price). But that said, this is definitely a product that is built to last and knowing my mum, that is exactly why she bought it.

In terms of functionality I did not find this camera particularly easy to use. Whilst the basics are pretty standard (focus, and shoot), the key thing which made it so difficult for me was that it has a large display at the back which actually does not function automatically whilst the picture is being taken.

• I am used to using the screen to focus, but in this case I was therefore forced to revert back to the days where you looked through the viewfinder to set the image. I also did not find too many special features available either while I do not tend to care too much for them I do expect the usual features such as tremor control to be present. But you have to bear in mind that I did not use this product for very long and therefore did not get much of a chance to find everything. With regards to performance I would say that the actual picture quality is not bad at all on this camera. The zoom is also pretty good and surprisingly easy to use.

So overall my feelings on

the Pentax K200D digital camera are pretty mixed. Personally I believe that this camera is unnecessarily complicated to use; I think that it is definitely more of a specialist camera and the quality of the pictures definitely indicate that this camera is more for the photograph enthusiast rather than the casual holiday or seasonal snapper. I understand why my mum bought this model my folks are from the old school and like to buy expensive things that will last them for life but that said, I do feel that, had they come to me for advise, I would have pointed them in the direction of the Panasonic Lumix brand of high performing camera that are built with both simplicity and longevity in mind for around £350 or less. 6 out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 432802613060428/k2311a0228/2.28.09