Sony NWZ-S639F MP3 Player
  • For £130, the latest offering from Sony is probably the closest pretender to the compact iPod Nano, which definitely ticks a lot of the boxes for me
  • In terms of functionality I think that Sony have improved on the user-friendliness of this product from past MP3 player models

• by LSK

Having defected from Sony in recent times in favour of the iPod revolution I feel like I have returned back to my roots! Until I had purchased my iPod Nano I had always preferred Sony to Apple in just about everything I preferred a Viao to an iBook, the Walkman to the iPod… I am sure you get the picture!

When it comes to MP3 players I have not used that many especially when compared to some of the people in my office who seem to have a new MP3 player every week. But I do have a clear idea of what I am looking for in a quality product: durability, style, performance and user-friendliness. For £130, the latest offering from Sony is probably the closest pretender to the compact iPod Nano, which definitely ticks

a lot of the boxes for me.

In terms of style I do like this MP3 player. I do not feel that it has the funkiness of the iPod Nano but it is definitely stylish in its own right. What I really like about it is the simplicity: in this respect I think that the design has copied the simple design of the iPods and it has actually done a good job with the styling of it. What stands out for me about this model is the size of screen it is big, colourful and very clear and for me this is definitely the key feature of the design.

In terms of functionality I think that Sony have improved on the user-friendliness of this product from past MP3 player models. The navigation function ...

• is very good and you can find what you are looking for very quickly. It is also easy to adjust the personal settings as well, and the player has a range of features which are easy to use I was able to create my playlists and bookmarks much easier than with my previous Sony MP3 player.

The performance of this product is also very good. It generates an excellent sound and the player selects files very quickly. This model also caters for videos and can play various formats, and with a bigger screen I do feel that it gives the Nano a run for its money in this area.

But the key area for me is with the battery life, as the Sony players still wipe the floor with the iPod models in this area

despite iPod’s significant improvements. Regardless of whether you are playing music or videos the battery life will definitely surprise you. It is also easy to upload to this player and it is a very quick function to perform.

Overall I think that this is a very impressive MP3 player and I would definitely recommend it. I have given it a score of 9 out of 10: I think that it should be the main MP3 player that you should consider outside of the iPod brand. But, with all this said, this is still not an iPod and therefore may not have that status and appeal which makes the iPod such an infectious brand. However, in terms of performance and functionality I personally believe that this product is just as good as the Nano, and has a bigger screen.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162802613040428/k2311a0228/2.28.09