Miracle on Ice  » Movies  »
  • Still, during the 1980 Winter Olympics, I found myself watching a few of the hockey games
  • I don't like hockey, but I love patriotism, and it was running high that week

• by Orrymain

I do not like hockey; I just don’t. It’s violent; besides, who can follow that puck around the ice? Still, during the 1980 Winter Olympics, I found myself watching a few of the hockey games. The reason was the phenomenal run to the gold that the USA hockey team was making. I watched it, held my breath, and cheered like most other Americans. I don’t like hockey, but I love patriotism, and it was

running high that week.

Before the gold was won, Hollywood was at work and before the ice could melt, a made-for-TV movie was being filmed. “Miracle on Ice” starred Karl Malden as Coach Herb Brooks and Andrew Stevens as Mike Eruzione, the hockey player who scored the winning goal in the game against the Russians. Jessica Walter played Brooks’ wife, giving us a hint of just how things were in the Brooks household during the team’s training.

This strong ...

• movie aptly gives us the heart of that surprising gold medal team. We learn a little more about Eruzione and America’s favorite, Jim Craig, who searched the stands for his father after the big win. Just like when we watched it for real, reliving the events in the movie was powerful. One can never hear Al Michaels ask, “Do you believe in miracles?” too often. I still cheer, almost 30 years later, and I still
        get tears in my eyes by what those young men did for this country.

One of the things I’ve always loved about the movie was that at the end, it showed the real players and what they went on to do. It was a worthwhile salute to the twenty who helped us send a message, a very loud message to those across the ocean.

“Miracle on Ice” is a wonderful recounting of the road to the gold, and it’s still well worth watching.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112802612330328/k2311a0228/2.28.09