TV Guide
  • Some of these can be very interesting and entertaining
  • I enjoyed one just recently that was on the female stars of the show, Criminal Minds
  • However, I don't like it when those photos give away an upcoming show, as was the case for the finale of the Fall 2008 rendering of Project Runway

• by Orrymain

For the majority of my lifetime, I’ve received the TV Guide. The magazine as it is today, though, is night and day from what it once was. This is mostly because of two things — the internet and cable TV with its programming guide. The days of needing a magazine to search to see what’s on has passed. Now, a simple touch of a button on a remote does the trick. If not that, surfing to any number of online sites, including TV Guide’s, gives the searcher the information they seek.

Once a thick 5″x7″ publication, the current TV Guide is a more standard

8″x11″. While it still contains a bit of programming information for each night of the week it covers, the programming sections are now no more than time and show, taking up a hand full of pages at the back of the publication. If you want details, use your TV remote.

So what keeps TV Guide alive? It focuses now more on features and their weekly columns. Some of these can be very interesting and entertaining. I enjoyed one just recently that was on the female stars of the show, “Criminal Minds”. It brought me a perspective I hadn’t seen elsewhere.

Still, like ...

• all magazines, what they show comes at a slant and no longer necessarily whats on. Sci-Fi does manage to get some coverage, for example, though they seem to plug more of what belongs to one of the major networks than independent offerings. If they like you, you’ll get a lot of coverage.

I do like the photos, for the most part. However, I don’t like it when those photos give away an upcoming show, as was the case for the finale of the Fall 2008 rendering of “Project Runway”. There, for all to see, where the three finalists in a photo at Bryant

Park. Well, that told me who had been sent packing before that particular show aired. It was a bad breach on their part, and one I didn’t appreciate. Of course, I sent them a ‘jeer’ about it, but it didn’t make the cut.

All in all, TV Guide is now part In Style and part gossip. Great photos, some good stories, and yet, as is so prevalent in Hollywood, I often feel it’s at an angle. That said, I still like to get my TV Guide in my mailbox every week. I grew up with it; it’s a staple that says life is normal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 392802612080228/k2311a0228/2.28.09