Samsung Alias (U-740)
  • Actually, I bought my phone from a guy on Ebay, who was switching his phone for that very reason
  • Cell phone cameras never have the best quality
  • I like that if you are texting the normal clam shell way you want to switch to QWERTY
  • There are times that it would be convenient to have the number lock key locked, but most of the time you just need it for one quick thing, like adding a comma to your text message
  • The problem, the type of jack will not allow it to take a normal headset

• by stuckinarut

After several really good years of use, my old Samsung phone was giving me signs of its need for retirement. Earning my loyalty from past cell phones, Samsung was the only choice for me. I decided on the Samsung Alias (AKA: Samsung U-740) mostly because of its unique dual-hinged feature. It that allows you to switch from a normal phone keyboard to a QWERTY keyboard, for easy texting.

The QWERTY keyboard is great for the serial texter. If your have big thumbs you might not enjoy the Alias’ small keyed keyboard. I have heard many switching to the LG Envy, since the keys are a bit bigger. Actually, I bought my phone from a guy on Ebay, who was switching his phone for that very reason. I can see how it can benefit from larger keys, but they would have to enlarge the whole phone to accommodate. It seems to work out ok for me, only occasionally do my thumbs slip to the wrong keys.

The Samsung Alias has a video and still camera. It is the basic cell phone quality, not bad, but obviously not digital camera quality. Cell phone cameras never have the best quality. But, it is enough for basic need and easy photo texting.

The screen is nice and clear. I like that if you are texting the normal clam shell way you want

to switch to QWERTY. If you start texting the clamshell way you can close the phone and it will give you a second or two to open it up sideways and continue your text with the keyboard.

This phone works on the Verizon Network and it has feature that can be used for extra fees, like Mobile web, Vcast, VzNavigator and Get it Now. I am not big on extra fees, so I haven’t tried them.

The phone takes music ringtones, but not mp3 ringtones. It does take mp3’s to play on it’s mp3 player, but you cannot use the mp3’s as ringtones. The phone has a scheduler, normal and tip calculator, alarm clock and world clock, stop watch and a notepad

Number lock key is, to me, possibly the most annoying feature, in QWERTY mode. Well, maybe not the feature, but the fact that if you push the number lock key once it stays locked, until you push it again to release it. I could scream about that! Many times I would be typing and not realize the number lock key is still on and end up with a whole paragraph of symbols, instead of words. I would end up having to delete it and start again. It would defeat the purpose of quick texting. There are times that it would be convenient to have the number lock key ...

• locked, but most of the time you just need it for one quick thing, like adding a comma to your text message.

The jack is another one of its cons. The jack is a pin type jack and there is only one jack for the chargers and the head set. The problem, the type of jack will not allow it to take a normal headset. It can only take a Samsung made one.

The phone comes with a headset adapter, to let you use a normal headset with it. You plug your headset into the adapter and plug the adapter into the phone. The adapter was a bit to awkward for me. I couldn’t get it to work with a 99 cent store headset I had. So, I am not sure if it is the headset or the adapter.

I prefer to use a wire type hands-free device, so the single jack is a bit of a frustration in that I like to use my hands-free when I talk at home. If the battery goes dead I have to remove the hands-free device, just so I can charge it while I am talking. I usually end up continuing my conversation on the speaker phone. It is nice that I can still continue hands free, but I would prefer to speak with my hands free set. Though, the

speaker is nice and clear and I have not had trouble with people hearing me on it or me hearing them.

It has voice recognition. I am not very impressed. My old Samsung phone had much better voice recognition. It often doesn’t recognize what I say, so I don’t really use it anymore. The phone has basic 3 hours of talk time. So, you have at least 3 hours to talk to the voice recognition, in hopes it will eventually understand you.

I like the mp3 player. You can fill up an optional little SD card, with mp3’s to play on the phone. The SD card is super tiny and it goes in the side of the phone. You can play the mp3 player while the phone is closed. It has play and skip button controls on the front of the phone. The volume button is also conveniently located on the side. It is pretty hand to have.

The dual-hinge may scare people, but it is pretty sturdy. I am not worried about it breaking anytime soon from normal use. It only has one hinge, so you might feel a little give when opening to the side QWERTY mode. But, don’t worry it will be fine.

All in all the Samsung Alias is a really good phone for the avid texter or for anyone wanting a cool multi-purpose phone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372702611000528/k2311a0227/2.27.09