Daphne Contraceptive Pill
2.3
  • Two months after giving birth to my first baby, I consulted my Obstetrician about the best contraceptive pill I could possibly use which could not affect my breastfeeding
  • The first month of using it regularly, I did not noticed anything wrong
  • But on the second month, I have noticed that I began to develop inter-menstrual spotting and my menstrual period became prolonged and heavier
  • Thus I decided to stop taking it and use another method of contraceptive instead so that I won't get pregnant sooner than planned
  • I don't personally recommend others to use this contraceptive pill though this effect might only be true to my situation

• by coolynch78

Two months after giving birth to my first baby, I consulted my Obstetrician about the best contraceptive pill I could possibly use which could not affect my breastfeeding. She advised me to use Daphne Contraceptive pill. She instructed

me to take it regularly (same time of the day).

The first month of using it regularly, I did not noticed anything wrong. But on the second month, I have noticed that I began to develop inter-menstrual spotting and my menstrual period became prolonged and heavier. This bothered me a lot since I am a working and heavy menses sometimes cause accidental stains. I also noticed that I developed increased appetite which cause me to gain weight to the ...

• Daphne Contraceptive Pill
      point that I almost became obese. This was no longer good for me since I was desperately trying to loose weight. I also noted that I became pale, maybe because of my prolonged, heavy menses. Thus I
      decided to stop taking it and use another method of contraceptive instead so that I won’t get pregnant sooner than planned.

I don’t personally recommend others to use this contraceptive pill though this effect might only be true to my situation.

Daphne Contraceptive Pill
tina says :

i was using daphne before i already consume 1 set then i started using the next set but after 3 pills i am having headaches. will i get pregnant since i stop using it?

Hi Tina,

Headache is not a reason why you should stop taking this pill. You should be aware of the fact that headache is one of many possible side effects of Daphne pill for new users. You can use pain relief medicine.

If you have stopped using this pill, you can become pregnant (ideally, after one week of quitting it).

coolynch78 replies :

yes, there is a possibility that you will get pregnant because you are now unprotected. Better shift to another contraceptive to avoid getting pregnant. However, better check first with your OB to ensure safety on your part.

tuliy says :

tina hi,
yes you will get pregnant since you stopped it, but as for the headache, if it is persistent for days, then you did the right to leave the pills, as headache should not stay longer than day or two, consult your doctor for another choice that make you well as that is not the purpose of the pills

Kate Narbas says :

There is a big possibility that you could get pregnant. When deciding on stopping certain contraceptive, you have to use an alternative like condoms, until you have found a new one to settle with.

princess says :

Im using daphne for 7 days then at 8day we Intercourse suddenly he put inside..is there a possibility that I will be pregnant?I’m full breastfeeding

Galega says :

No, you had unprotected sex on 8th day. Hence, you should be safe. Keep taking one pill daily at the same time.

John says :

Same here.. my wife missed 2 tablets. And we abstain from having contact for 3 days like the instruction said and in the 4th day we have contact and accidentally put it inside. But before she missed 2 she is taking it regularly. Is there posibilities she might get pregnant ??

Galega says :

The protection level won’t be optimum in this case. You should have waited for seven days.

John says :

Hi, how many percent is the protection. My wife finished 3 packs already before it happen. The protection is still low ?? Thanks for the reply

Galega says :

How can you say that protection is still low? If she has not missed any pill and taking it as per instructions, then she should be protected completely from unwanted pregnancy.

Kate Narbas says :

No contraceptive is 100% sure but in the instance that they work, having intercourse on the 8th day is already safe.

Glaidelou says :

I start taking daphne on march 22, the first day of my mentuation after giving birth. At my first pack i take my pill 7pm and 8pm sometimes but we are having safe sex all the time during my first pack. I already consumed 1 pack but my menstrual didnt come yet so i buy another pack. And on my second pack i take it regularly at 7:30 pm. and we have unsafe sex on april 21. Is there any posibility for me to get pregnant? Today is april 22 already 1 month after using dapne but i didnt have my menstruation yet. Am I safe?

Galega says :

Your period is already delayed by around one month. It may be high time when you should go for home based pregnancy test. Whatever the result of the PT test might be, you should consult an OBGyne for further suggestions.

roan says :

If you have unprotected sex and missed one pill then doubled up the next day is there a chance you will be pregnant? but still im in breastfeeding with my 5months old daughter pls response thanks cause its bothers me my period is delayed for this month and i still taking pills and never missed again.

Hi Roan,

There is a chance of pregnancy, but still you are safe for up to 98%. It doesn’t make much difference. However, do remember to take pill daily at around the same time.

However, did you consult your OB before starting this pill. Women doing breastfeeding must consult a doctor before taking any pill. It is because of Estrogen (a female hormone) that is available in contraceptive pill. Extra dose of this hormone may not be desirable while breastfeeding. There are many contraceptive pills available which comes without Estrogen. However, consulting OB is suggested.

Traceh says :

Unfortunately there is a chance you can fall pregnant, you can’t miss a day or it takes a month of taking the pill everyday for your body to be protected again. It is not true that you can’t fall pregnant while breast feeding, I have heard of a few cases where mothers have fallen pregnant while breast feeding. I would recommend that you get a pregnancy test to make sure

Maritess Modillas says :

I took Daphne Contraceptive Pills for the first time starting April 17, the first day of my last cycle. I usually take it before going to bed but not the same time each day. There were nights that i missed some pill. i took it the following night then the other pill in the morning time of the next day. It`s 9 days now since i consumed i set of Dapne Pills ,still i dd`nt have my monthly period. I had my pregnancy test today by urine sample and i got a negative result. My Doctor told me it`s not yet reliable at this time when i am only 5 days delayed, i need to recheck again by serum sample. This bothers me a lot. Can it cause me pregnancy if i dd`nt take Daphne Pills the same time each day,and if i had sexual contacts during those nights that i missed the pill? Are there chances that i can`t be pregnant even if i dd`nt have menstruation after i finished 1 set of the pills. Pls reply..thanks.

Galega says :

Delayed or advanced menstruation cycle is one of many side effects of Daphne contraceptive pills for first time users. Don’t worry.

However, you should remain alert about the timing of the pill. Why don’t you set an alarm to take it daily exactly on same time. Missing pills is not a welcome thing, even if you are taking the pill in the next morning.

mhica says :

i am planning to take daphne as contraceptive pill. im a breastfeeding mother. do i have to wait for my menstration before i start taking the pills? or i can take it after 6 weeks after gaving birth.tnx

Galega says :

Yes, you SHOULD wait for menstruation before starting this pill. Ensure that you start with the first tablet on the first day of your menstruation. It will give you optimum protection.

Another thing that you are required to remember is the presence of Estrogen Hormone in this pill. I suggest you to consult an OB and discuss about this stuff before starting the pill. Estrogen is not a welcome thing while breastfeeding.

DES says :

I`m taking daphne even I STOP breastfeeding.. is their a possibility for me to get pregnant? and is this product really safe? is their no possibility for me to get pregnant if I take it regularly?

Galega says :

This product is safe, no problem. You can take it after stopping breastfeeding.

If you take it regularly, you are 99% safe from pregnancy. As you know, no contraceptive measure provide 100% protection. But, that is a technical thing. The fact is, if you take this pill regularly at around the same time daily, then you will be free from unwanted pregnancy.

Almera says :

Hi,can i take daphne even im not breastfeeding?

Galega says :

Progesterone only pill like Daphne is ideal for breastfeeding women. That doesn’t mean a woman who is not breastfeeding can’t take it. You can definitely use it.

Vaneza p says :

Hi I want to know I’m taking Daphne on September 15 to oktuber 15 but my period did not come,..I’m worried to get pregnant.,, but I want to know.,if I’d continue to take even if my period not come?I stopPing to take on oktuber 16….pls get me what the best idea

Galega says :

Continue to take the pill, as suggested. The period may get delayed. It happens with new users. Over the time your period will be regularized. You may also want to consult an OB.

enjanex says :

My Ob said Normally you dont really got period when taking Daphne.

Galega says :

That doesn’t happen with all users. You won’t get withdrawal bleeding, but you should expect period while taking Daphne.

girly says :

no period for a year and half after giving birth

is it safe to switch to althea? im already a daphne pill user,but no period for a year and half after giving birth.

i need some advice, i gave birth to my baby last dec.2012 and breastfeeding her, then last march 2013 i decided to take birth control pill daphne for contraception since im not ready to have a second baby..i take daphne religiousely, then last month of august 2014 i stop breastfeeding my baby since she can eat solid food already.. ever since i started using daphne, i notice my face always have pimples and its been 1 yr and half using it my face really look horrible,there are lots of pimples in my forehead, chin and cheecks and one time there is one pimple its really big (i think its a cystic acne)and really painfull everytime i accidentally touch it( when im washing my face)..so i wanted to switch to althea but im confused since my period haven t returned yet..please help me, need your advice.

Galega says :

Daphne is a progesterone based pill, while Althea is an Estrogen based. You can definitely change to Althea after completing the current pack of Daphne.

However, before changing the brand, you need to consult a doctor and find the reason why you didn’t get menstruation cycle for such a long period of time. Having no period for one and half years isn’t normal and it warrants immediate medical attention.

Your pimples problem may get reduced after taking Estrogen pill, Althea.

kimberly rose says :

is it not normal? i am a exclusive breastfeeding mom. my mom also is ebf mom. she got her menstruation back after 2 years… for me it will be one year. am i allowed to take this pills?

Galega says :

There is nothing abnormal in your case. You can definitely take Daphne contraceptive pill. If you follow all instructions religiously, you should not have any problem.

Cherry says :

May I ask if where I start to take the tablets since there is more arrow

Galega says :

You need to start from the starting point of the arrow. And, then proceed according to the direction.

jorja says :

Hello. I just wanted to ask. I forgot to take my daphne pills last night 10pm, then i take it today 12pm. And then later at 10pm again. Is there a chance to become pregnant since we dissnt use any safe method like condoms and withdrwal? It is okay if i take 2 daphne pills in one day beause i forgit the other one last night?

Galega says :

You took the pill 14 hours after the schedule time. You are safe till the next 12 hours. So, the safety level during two hours were lowered (from 10 PM to 12 PM when you took the tablet). Did you made physical relationship during this duration? If not, you should be safe.

There is no problem in taking two pills in 24 hours. However, it must be done in exceptional circumstances. You should try your best to never miss the pill. In fact, it is always recommended to not disturb the time of taking the pill. Take the pill at exactly the same time daily otherwise the hormonal disturbances might happen.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342702610140228/k2311a0227/2.27.09