Cementuos Siding  » Housewares  »
  • In a few years, even the best siding installation begins to look dull if not rumpled
  • I believe more companies are joining in on the manufacturing of this incredibly sturdy stuff
  • There is a sort of a glow about the finished product that I really love

• by carallelworld

A retirement that turned to a home building endeavor required a lot of research on various materials, which led to the decision to go with cementuous siding for the exterior. As a husband/wife building team, we were fortunate enough to have an open minded permit office. I’ll never forget standing next to an architect in fancy clothing, holding his myriad blueprints. When it was our turn, we handed over our eight by ten drawings on typing paper for review.

Basically, the most affordable siding is vinyl. I had reservations about using this kind of siding due to the fact that it doesn’t seem to stay nice for very long. When it first goes up,

it looks great. In a few years, even the best siding installation begins to look dull if not rumpled.

I spent a lot of time on the internet, and finally found cementuous siding. Photographs of real life examples were impressive. How could I justify the fact that this stuff costs almost twice as much as vinyl? I kept looking at the pictures taken in full sunlight, and the finished cement and fiber product looked really good.

Manufactured by Certainteed, and Hardy, most people know about the Hardy backer board used behind showers, and for tile floor applications. I believe more companies are joining in on the manufacturing of this incredibly sturdy stuff. We decided to go with ...

• cementuous siding for a number of reasons.

1.) Looks

2.) Fifty year warranty

3.) Paint application is guaranteed to last for twenty five years

4.) Fireproof factor can help reduce home insurance costs

Each board is molded with an imprint taken off of real cedar siding. Many people have asked whether it is cedar or not. The maintenance factor involved in cedar siding is something that we won’t have to deal with, though we get to have the aesthetic advantage of the cedar look.

For the breezeway, we ordered a stucco look pattern that came in four by eight foot sheets, weighing about 125 pounds each. We only needed a few of these.

Once my husband began the siding application, I could hear unpleasant mutterings coming from the

top of the ladder. Uh, oh, I thought. Since I was the one whose final decision it was to go with the cementuous siding, I was hoping he didn’t have any pertinent complaints.

In this aspect, the vinyl siding would have been easier since each of the cementuous boards weighed ten pounds a piece. Thankfully, from the peak to almost halfway down only smaller boards were needed.

Special attention to the type of paint required is an important detail. The paint must be acrylic latex, or else the guarantee is void. I chose a color at Wallmart called English Ivy, and it worked out beautifully. There is a sort of a glow about the finished product that I really love.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532302606641028/k2311a0223/2.23.09