Althea contraceptive pills
4.7
  • Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it's routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle
  • But when I started using Althea, I noticed that I can now maintain my weight within normal limits, my menses are not so heavy that I only use 1-2 pads per day, and my skin became smoother to touch with almost no pimple outbreak
  • The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name
  • Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time

• by coolynch78

I have been using Althea contraceptive pills for more than two years now and I can say that this contraceptive pill is very effective, not only in decreasing my fertility, it also helps eliminate dysmenorrhea or painful menstruation.

Before I started using this, I first checked if I was pregnant (it’s routine) and when I found out it was negative, I started taking it on the first day of my menstrual cycle. I was really careful to take it everyday, on the same

time to ensure its optimal effect - and that is not to get pregnant. This is because the blood level of the hormones contained in each tablet should be maintained in a steady level so to ensure that no ovulation will be able to take place.

The good thing about the blister pack of this oral contraceptive is that each tablet is marked by a number starting from numbers 1 to 28. I started taking tablet number one on the first day ...

• of my menstrual cycle, number two on the second day and so on.

I tried using other contraceptive pills before such as progesterone only pill, which only succeeded in making me chubbier, with heavier menses and inter menstrual bleeding.

outbreak. And you know what, my husband was able to notice it! I also noticed that my menstrual cramps are less intense, thus I can go one with my routine work without getting disturbed with the pain.

The best part is the price is not so expensive unlike other contraceptive pills with the same generic name. Thus I highly recommend this to women who want to have proper birth control and who want to feel great and look great at the same time.

Althea contraceptive pills
    Nanz says :

Good day I`ve been taking Althea pill for my acne for five months and it has been giving me remarkable results. Can I take it continuously? I want to have good skin all the time. Is it also safe to apply astringents or creams?

a says :

you can take it continously but do consult your doctor for long term side effects, it may not be a big deal but it is always good to know. it should be safe to apply any creams.

Galega says :

There is no problem in applying cream of astringents on the face. If you are taking something orally, then you need to ponder over about any possible reactions.

That said, I do not suggest you to take this pill for such a long duration just to control acne/pimples. Why not rely on some herbal products, or change your eating habits which can help to remove acne.

Taking this pill for such a long duration without any need for birth control is not recommended. IT has some side effects - in both short term and long term. Why are you taking risks?

Richelle says :

Hi nanz I’ve also used althea pills for almost 6 months now and I’ve using also astringent on my face and ponds cream every morning and night. The result was amazing Hope this help.

Tay Brooks says :

It is safe to take continuously, but I would recommend discussing it with your family doctor. It is safe to use astringents and creams, but I would recommend starting with gentle ones (as skin drying and irritation can make acne worse or slow down the healing of your skin)

Mharga says :

Hi
    I am first time user of Althea. My first intake was feb5 and on the s2nd day of my menstruation. I religously follow and take 1tablet before I go to sleep. My BF and I made sex a day before I took my last pill and it’s my ovulation period. When will be my next period? Is there a possibilty for me to get pregnant then? Now, its my last day of my 7day pill free days and yet my period is not yet come. please, I need you advise. by the way, my OB gave me an Althea in order to treat my pcos :(
    thanks in advance

Galega says :

You started Althea on the second day of menstruation. And, you had unprotected physical relationship on 20th day (day before the last pill). You had one pill daily at the same time.

In this given situation, you were completely protected. Period may get delayed for new users. You shouldn t worry about that. Start the next pack after completing 7 pill free days.

Happyyey says :

Hi I want to ask if there’s a possiblity of me getting pregnant? My mens started on the 21st and i took my 1st pill on the 22nd. My mens only lasted 4 days, me and my bf had unprotected intercourse on the 26th. I am beginning to worry though cause im half way on finishing my first pack. Also, my breasts are kinda swollen and it hurts a little, is this one of the effects? Help please. Thank you.

Galega says :

Breast tenderness is one of the possible side effects that happens with new users. Don’t worry as it is for short duration. Over time (usually once you complete the first pack), the breast will become normal. Further, the rule says that if you don’t start Althea on the first day of menstruation, then you should avoid unprotected physical relationship for the first seven days. You obviously didn’t follow this rule. But, on the calendar method, you should be safe.

Happyyey says :

Rose says :

Hello.please do help me with my problem.it was my 2nd pack of althea when I missed 2pills on it’s 3rd week and had sex.what I did is I continue taking the remaining pills and start right away taking a new pack after taking the last pill.my problem now is I still don’t have my period.I’ve been delayed for 2 weeks already and I don’t know what to do.is it normal?or should I do a home pregnancy test?please help me coz I’m really depressed already.

Galega says :

You have messed up the entire schedule. I would suggest you to go for home based pregnancy test to ascertain the exact status of your pregnancy.

Rose says :

I did a home pregnancy test already and it’s negative.anyway just to mention,i continued taking the 3rd pack right after I finished the 2nd one.what I mean is,I didn’t used my 7pill free days.because I just followed what the prescription says on my pills since I missed it on the 3rd week.that’s why I was thinking it might be the effect since I am negative also.my 3rd pack of althea will finished on saturday,so I wanna ask if I can used my 7pill free days or continue taking a new pack right away again?

Galega says :

OK. So, you are not pregnant. No need to go for another pregnancy test. It is possible that the current problem has happened because you are not going for 7 pill free days. The cycle is meticulously designed keeping everything in mind. You should follow it. Once you are done with this pack, go for seven pill free days and only then start the next pack.

babeniJR says :

Hi. I just want to know. I am taking althea pills for the first time. I took the first tablet on the first day of my menstruation, that was last June 12,2011. And I ahve noticed that until now June 20,2011 , I still have menstruation, although its not heavy, i was just like have spotting, I am still worried. Is it really normal? Or I really do need to see an OB-Gyne for this matter?

a says :

spotting is quite normal between periods, it’s totally normal.

Galega says :

It’s good that you have started it on the first day of menstruation.

The spotting that you are experiencing may be a side effect of Althea pill. Nothing to worry here, though.

It happens because of the estrogen, a female hormone, in the pill. Your body may not accept the new dose of this hormone.

Though, if the spotting continue for one week more, you need to consult a doctor. May be you need some other pill.

Zhelle says :

hello Im a new user of althea. how ever I started using althea from the 1st night of my mens, I only have 3 tabs left. my questions are:
    1. is 7 days free pill is safe even w/o condom?
    2. what if my mens dont come in 7days free pill, am I still safe to take my next pack?
    3. If I want to stop althea, is 7days free pill is safe?
    4. when can I stop using althea?

Thank you in advance.

Galega says :

Yes, it is safe without condom as told by manufacturers of Althea. You may get pseudo menstruation during these pill free days. However, to be on the safe side, many women use some other forms of contraception like withdrawal method or condom during these pill free days.

You should start the new pack on 8th day, after the completion of 7 pill free days. It doesn’t matter whether you got menses or not.

Yes, you can stop Althea during these pill free days. However, if you start a new pack, you should complete the pack before stopping it.

Complete the current pack (21 pills) and then you can stop Althea.

Richelle says :

Hi Zhelle i’m also a user of Althea pill,the answer that I will give you is based on my experience.Seven days free pill is safe without condom. You have to take next pack after 7 days free pill to avoid being pregnant. Third, if you want to stop althea, 7 days free pill is safe. You can stop using althea after you finish using 1 pack of it and you are safe until 7 days pill free days.

rk cruz says :

Hi. just wondering, is it safe to have unprotected sex on the 1st day of a pill free days? i just finished 2 packs of althea for the last 2 months, and just about to start my 3rd pack on the 8th day after i took the last pill. thanks

Galega says :

If you have taken a pill daily at the same time, you can go ahead with unprotected physical relationship. That is what Althea promises you - 24/7 protection.

If you are concerned, you can use condom until you get your period.

rk cruz says :

should i take an ecp just to make sure i wont get pregnant? or just wait for my period to come and continue my 3rd pack of pill on the scheduled day?

No, don’t take ECP.

If you have taken the 21 day cycle as instructed you should be safe. Using condom during pill free days is just a suggestion. It doesn’t mean that you are at risk. Please ensure to not miss any pill in the first seven days when you will start the new pack.

gab says :

please advise. me and my partner had unprotected sex (but did the withdrawal method) on my 3rd day on pills (first pack). am i at risk of being pregnant?

Galega says :

Withdrawal method is safe to an extent (there is very little possibility of pregnancy in this case). You should be safe in this situation.

If you had started Althea on the first day of menstruation, you should be safe even on this case. If you had started Althea on any other day than the first day of menstruation, you won’t be protected because of Althea.

Overall, I feel that you should be safe.

gab says :

hi. thank you. reading other users’ questions, (48hours after withdrawal method)i took 4 nordette pills as an ecp this day, and 4 more later after 12hours. will i be safe and fine then? and will i continue taking my althea pills regularly after nordette?

Galega says :

You should be safe and you can take Althea at scheduled time. However, I think you have taken two many Nordette. This much was not required. There might be some side effects in terms of sudden spotting. Over time, you should be fine.

Leigh says :

Good day. I took 4 pills of Althea after the deed and 4 pills after 12hrs. Can this prevent me from getting pregnant? And I think I am fertile .. That was 5days ago .Please answer me :( I’m very worried . thanks

Galega says :

Taking 4 pills doesn’t mean that you will be protected from pregnancy. There is obviously possibility of pregnancy in your case.

Leigh says :

Ohhh:( I took pt just now but its negative. When will be the exact date or time I will use pt?

Leigh says :

Can Althea be use as ecp?

Galega says :

You can use Althea once you miss period. Ideally, one should wait for one week before going for PT. Use the first urine of the morning for the test.

Galega says :

Althea is a regular oral contraceptive pill. It is not intended to be used as an emergency pill. It will work only when you take it as per instructions - taking one pill daily.

Leigh says :

What do you mean ? I can use Althea when I miss my period?

Galega says :

Althea should be started from the first day of menstruation.

If you have missed your period and had made contact in last few days, then first go for home based pregnancy test. If the PT is negative, wait for your period and start Althea from the first day.

irish margate says :

Good day. I am a new user of althea, i took the first pill on the day my mens end.then i took them regularly and now i finished the 21 days, what if i had sex after 2 days my pills last, is it safe?

Galega says :

Yes, it is completely safe if you had not missed any pill. Don’t worry.

tin says :

is it ok to have unprotected contact and cum inside on the 8th day of taking pills this is my first time to take a pills

Galega says :

There should not be any problem if you have taken all 7 previous pills daily without missing any day.

KM says :

Hi. Im using Althea for almost 3mos now.. I just want to ask if its okay that we had an unprotected sex last night and he cum inside me, btw Im on my 7day free pill, 2nd day.. Thanks..

Galega says :

If you had taken all 21 hormonal pills as per instructions, then you will be perfectly safe while making unprotected physical relationship during the 7 pill free days.

KM says :

Okay.. Thank you :)

Reesie says :

Hello. Im currently using althea pills for the first time since my OB recommended this to me. I have a pcos and pills is a ways to treat this condition. However this pills gave a an acne reaction. I don’t know why it says it can help to clear your acne but it happen reverse.. What should i do

Galega says :

This type of reactions are quite normal during initial days of taking Althea. There should not be any problem. Althea contains two female hormones and it takes little bit time for your body to adjust with these new dose of hormones. Acne is short term side effects of Althea and it will be cured automatically if you continue to take the pill as per instructions.

Reesie says :

Hello. Thanks for responding anyway aside from the skin reaction of althea pills particularly to my face is it also normal to have a diarrhea as side effect of the pills ? I always have this everyday and made me difficult to leave the home.. My ob advise me of switching pills ftom Althea to Diane 35 after i finish my one pack of althea..

Galega says :

Diarrhea is quite a rare side effects of Althea which happens to new users. If your stomach continues to remain upset while being on this pill, then you need to switch. Your doctor has already prescribed Diane 35 which you can consider.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342302604890728/k2311a0223/2.23.09