Siemens ADSL A-100 modem  » Hardware  »
  • I know that there is a new generation of ADSL modems which don't look like this one, which are much more complicated, but as this one functioned perfectly and as I never had any problems with it in this 3 years that I have it I never even thought of changing it
  • Then I went to search about this program online and the problem is that Vista doesn't support this kind of Modem or maybe I should say Siemens ADSL A-100 modem doesn't support Windows Vista
  • It can support the speed of 2Mbps but unfortunately my ADSL is not that fast

• by lorelai

I received my ADSL modem when I first switched to ADSL internet and that was more than 3 years ago. Than I was really happy about it I could install it on both of my computers and I had ADSL internet which was really fast. It was really easy to install it, I got CD with drivers and installing program so I just had to put the CD in and in just a few clicks it was installed. Actually it wasn’t that easy because when you put the install CD in the computer the modem can’t be plugged in the computer but you have to plug it in in the middle of installing process when a small square appears telling you to plug the modem.

It sounds like a very small detail but it isn’t because as most of people I am used to plug in immediately everything that I want to install and I was trying to install it several times but I was never successful until I actually read the small square on the screen. The CD I got with the Siemens ADSL A-100 modem looks very simple, it was in a simple white envelope, it is silver and has Siemens A-100 install CD written on it in black letters. The modem is gray and it is really small.

It is about 10cm x 6cm x 2cm. On the upper part of the surface

it is written Siemens T-com while on the lower part there are two small lights which turn green when the modem is plugged in and ready to be used. Under the first light it is written PWR and under the other one it is written LINK.

I guess the first one shows you when the modem is plugged in and the second one when the line is ready to be used. The design of this modem is really simple and I can’t even say that it looks nice because it doesn’t but I guess that’s not all that important if the modem is doing what it is supposed to do. At the back there are two holes, one is the phone line while the other one is the hole for the USB cable.

Under the modem it is written that it was manufactured in 15th week of 2005. Very nice way of telling the date, wasn’t it easier to write the date or the month?

As I said I was really satisfied with this modem until about 6 months ago. I know that there is a new generation of ADSL modems which don’t look like this one, which are much more complicated, but as this one functioned perfectly and as I never had any problems with it in this 3 years that I have it I never even thought of changing it.

I mean, why would ...

• I change something that functions, that would be a waste of money! But about 6 months ago my sister bought herself a new computer and that computer has Windows Vista installed on it. She was really happy when she bought it but as my computer was usually always online she never actually tried to go online with our modem. About 2 months ago I had some problems with my computer and while I was repairing it my sister wanted to go online, she tried to install the modem but when she’d plug it in the computer couldn’t find it.

We tried everything, we have plugged it in before we started the installation and in the middle of it when the installation tells you to but as I would plug it in the computer and the computer would just continue searching for it. I tried several times until the screen started to freeze so I gave up. Then I went to search about this program online and the problem is that Vista doesn’t support this kind of Modem or maybe I should say Siemens ADSL A-100 modem doesn’t support Windows Vista.

That was the first time I wasn’t pleased with this modem because it served me perfectly in every other occasion. Before I had regular dial up modems and I had to change them every year because something would always happened to them, but this one has

even survived when the thunder stroked our phone even though it was plugged in the phone line. I have never had any problems with it, bot even with the lamps or cables.

The only thing is that the USB cable could be little bit longer because when I use my laptop sometimes I keep it in my lap and there’s no space for the modem in my lap so I have to put it a side, if the cable was longer I could put it on the table or somewhere where it could be stable, this way I have to keep it by my side and that’s not always a secure place because sometimes I just forget about it. Thanks good the plastic is quite thick and hard so I still didn’t manage to break. All in all I am pretty satisfied with my SIEMENS A-100 modem.

It can support the speed of 2Mbps but unfortunately my ADSL is not that fast. This modem is 3 years old and it still functions perfectly it never broke down nor has it ever stopped functioning in all that time but the problem is that as it is old it isn’t supported by Windows Vista and that can be really annoying. I know that I have to change my modem if I want it to work with every computer just I would be sorry to stop using something that still functions and it functions great.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 332202603850928/k2311a0222/2.22.09