The British Museum London  » Travel  »
London, UK
  • On arrival I found that I had to stand and admire it for its breathtaking eighteenth and nineteenth-century architecture for a few minutes before I went in
  • With regret I didn't have a camera with me so couldn't take any photos
  • With so many attractions I don't think you can see all of them in just one day
  • The main thing I went to see was the Elgin Marbles which were amazing
  • As well as these great attractions I recommend you see the Enlightenment Gallery which is to the right of the Great Hall

• by angel
      This is such a wonderful museum housed in a beautiful building. On arrival I found that I had to stand and admire it for its breathtaking eighteenth and nineteenth-century architecture for a few minutes before I went in. With regret I didn’t have a camera with me so couldn’t take any photos.

When you first enter the museum you walk straight into the entrance hall and then right through into the Great Hall. Here you will find a magnificent vast space where you can pick up your maps and guides.

You will also find

the cafes, shops and toilets here too. The museum is free to get in and so are most of the attractions, however there are some charges made for temporary exhibitions.

With so many attractions I don’t think you can see all of them in just one day. The main thing I went to see was the Elgin Marbles which were amazing.

It was such a great feeling to be able to stand so near and to know how ancient these works of great importance are. However, I was left wondering whether it would be ...

• better if they were returned to Greece as I feel they belong there.

They are housed in their own gallery and I loved the whole atmosphere. It’s definitely my favorite exhibit.

I also loved the marble freese of the Parthenon and all the Greek antiquities section. As well as these great attractions I recommend you see the Enlightenment Gallery which is to the right of the Great Hall.

It is laid out like a library and you can see a copy of the Rosetta Stone. Other things to see are the ancient Egypt

exhibit with its books of the dead, mummies and paintings from tombs and the Lewis chessmen in the Medieval Europe gallery upstairs.

The musuem is quite easy to get to as it’s in the centre of London and is fully accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs. The nearest tube stations are Russell Square (Piccadilly line) and Tottenham Court Rd (Central and Northern lines).

The no. 7 bus from Oxford St also stops outside.

When in London don’t miss the chance to visit this fantastic place. Take your kids.

It’s fun, exciting and educational, and they’ll love it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38310560380431/k2311a0531/5.31.06