Belgian Draft Horse  » Pets  »
  • I was secretly a little bit disappointed when I found his owners but I knew he wasn't rightfully mine to begin with
  • Just when I thought I was going to have to part with my new friend, the horse's owner told me that he was a rescue horse that they had taken in but they were struggling with the costs of feeding all of their horses
  • Also, I know that anyone can stand behind him without worrying that he might spook or kick
  • I would recommend the Belgian Draft Horse breed to anyone who loves draft horses and can afford to feed a big eater

• by Lablover007

Even since I was a young girl I wanted a draft horse. I grew up around many different breeds of horses but I my Great Uncles Percheron and Belgian Draft Horses always had a special place in my heart. I finally got the chance to own a Belgian Draft when one meandered into my yard one day. Yep, that’s right! A towering draft horse trotted right up behind me one summer afternoon after slipping out of his pasture. I grabbed a bucket full of grain from my own horse barn and cautiously approached the scared horse. He was sweaty from running and was obviously spooked by his whole ordeal but without hesitation he forced his giant head into the bucket and took a mouth full of grain. I walked him to our barn, trying to watch my feet because I had only flip-flops on, and put him in one of our pastures. Next I spent the afternoon searching for his owners but in the

process I fell deeply in love with this gentle giant. I was secretly a little bit disappointed when I found his owners but I knew he wasn’t rightfully mine to begin with. Just when I thought I was going to have to part with my new friend, the horse’s owner told me that he was a rescue horse that they had taken in but they were struggling with the costs of feeding all of their horses. She said that they needed to find him a good home, if I needed anyone. Of course I knew someone! Me! So, after years of wishing and waiting, I was the proud owner of a Belgian Draft Horse. Even though I was thrilled to own such a magnificent animal, I was still a bit unsure him at first. He was after all a complete stranger to me and his towering height and massive hooves were a bit intimidating at first. But Boomer, we named him after the ...

• sound the ground made when he ran, was extremely patient with me as we learned about one another. Now, after having him for over a year and a half, I will forever love and respect the Belgian breed.

Our boy Boomer is a prime example of the Belgian Draft breed not only on the outside, with a stunning crimson colored coat which is highlighted by a white main and tail and perfect white blaze stationed on his forehead, but on the inside as well. This breed has a heart of gold. Boomer is the largest horse I have ever owned, at almost 19 hands tall, but he is also by far one of the most placid and kind as well. My husband and I can ride Boomer bareback, or without a saddle, and just a halter and lead rope. I trust him enough to bring young kids into the pasture right up beside him to pet or brush him. Also, I know that anyone can stand behind

him without worrying that he might spook or kick. Belgian horses don’t have a mean bone in their bodies and genuinely love people. Boomer runs to the gate to greet anyone who comes to the farm and isn’t shy about searching pockets for treats.

In the future I wouldn’t hesitate to adopt another Belgian Draft Horse to add to my family because I have seen first hand the gentle temperament that they possess. Even though Belgian Drafts are one of the largest horse breeds in the world, they have extraordinary dispositions. They are loyal to their owners, kind to strangers, and trust humans to no end. They also have silly personalities that keep their owners laughing. Boomer loves to play games, especially amusing games of tag.

Belgians are by far one of the most faithful, trustworthy breed of horses I have ever come across. I would recommend the Belgian Draft Horse breed to anyone who loves draft horses and can afford to feed a big eater!

YVONNE RINGER says :

I would like to talk to Lablover007. I have just bought a 2 year old Belgian Draft Horse. He is still a stud. Hopefully, soon he will be a gelding. He has a light color with a very white main and tail. What color is crimison? He stands about 17 hands now and will grow a lot more. I really like him. I never had a Belgian Draft Horse before much less a 2 year old. I have had 3 other horses at different times growing up, but they were Appaloosa and Quarter horses. They were also at least 9 years old and up. So I am new with owning this young Belgian horse. Could you tell me what kind of treats that you feed your horse? I tried giving mine an apple and he just ignored it. Like he didn`t even know what it was. The previous owner told me that he probably will not eat it. Well, he was right. I do not think he gives them treats. He has 54 Belgian Draft Horses. He uses them for all different types of competitions. I really would like to start giving him treats to help him to get to know me. I hope we can talk a lot more in the future. I know I will probably have more questions later. It is nice to be able to talk to someone that has a Belgian Draft Horse to. I am looking very forward to hearing from you. Thank you,

Kelli replies :

As far as your question on treats, try different things, each horse is different and has different likes and dislikes just like us people. I had one horse that would only eat peppermint treats I would try carrots and horse treats you can buy at farm stores. Some horses just prefer a handful of hay or grass. If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask Good luck with your big guy. Belgians are great horses

Tom Glover says :

I have a Belgian who needs another Belgian to train with. She is six y.o., and could be free to a good home. She needs training, and my priorities are with another horse (oh, the shame ). If you`re interested, or know someone who might be interested in her, please contact me.

Kelli replies :

I don’t know of anyone looking for a Belgian right now. I would contact your local horse rescue groups. You don’t necessarily have to send her to the rescue, but I have found rescue volunteers to be extremely helpful when trying to safely place a horse. You want to be sure the new owners are going to do right by your girl and that they understand how expensive Belgians are to feed and care for. Good luck finding her a good home.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291702600320628/k2311a0217/2.17.09