Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)

• by klorofill

Well, if the previous album, The Final Cut, was a Roger Waters album, this one is David Gilmour. It’s funny how these two albums are so completely the opposite of eachother. I prefer this one though, if I was to choose between the two. You can pretty much guess what are the bad points of this record: we have so very not Pink Floyd-ish lyrics, we don’t have cohesiveness, we don’t have vision. This album is pretty much a selection of different songs, thrown together, to fill

those 50 minutes. They’re all okay tunes, and they’re really really enjoyable, some are actually too enjoyable. This is where „Pink Floyd” comes the closest to mainstream pop music. And you can feel the influence of that era, the 80s too: keyboards, drum-machine. If we were to compare this album to anything, well, it would be to Gilmour’s solo, About Face, released a few years earlier. Well, this album isn’t so pop, I shouldn’t be so bad, the songs are a longer, delievered with excellent musicianship, great technicality, I suppose, this is how good pop music should sound like. Now about the songs, the first one is an instumental opener, and it sets the mood for the album pretty nicely. I guess this is the song, which reminds you that hey, you’re listening to Pink Floyd afterall. Then we have Learning to Fly, the catchiest song on the album, I could say One Slip is done in the same vein. I really dislike The Dogs of War, it’s just plain silly. The subject at ...
      • Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
      least, musically it’s decent, I like the return of the saxophone. We haven’t heard it since Wish You Were Here. On The Turning Away is a typical Gilmour ballad, with great guitar. Terminal Frost, along with A New Machine are instumentals, and they’re plain and kind of boring also. They really lack good composition I think, they just sound like some very nicely sounding instruments thrown together. My absolute favourite, and the best song on the album is the closer, Sorrow. Now this one, this song is good enough to stick the Pink Floyd name next to it. I just love the heavy guitars, and the singing, really punchy.

All in all, I consider it a much better album than the previous one, but not good enough for a band like Pink Floyd.

Tracklist: 1. Signs of Life 4.23 2. Learning to Fly 4.53 3. The Dogs of War 6.10 4. One Slip 5.04 5. On The Turning Away 5.41 6. Yet Another Movie 7.28 7. A New Machine (Part One) 1.46 8. Terminal Frost 6.17 9. A New Machine (Part Two) 0.38 10. Sorrow 8.48

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141602598750328/k2311a0216/2.16.09