Ahhh the post office  » General services  »
  • A 30% tax on Item's worth + shipping and handling, plus an additional 5 euro for postal charges, plus another 5 euro because i had to pay additional taxes plus shipping charges from the airport to customs and back again, plus the cost from there to my post office

• by Alessandro

A couple of months ago I sent a friend a package from the USA, (as I was on vacation there) to Italy. Boy what a mistake that turned out to be. It was supposed to be gift, so I marked it as such on the field where the address thing is.

I then continued my holiday and returned home after about a month or so. the package (insured registered mail) still hadn’t shown up.

I called the post office to complain and they told me that my package was at customs. I politely asked them repeatedly to release my damn package and they said they were working on it but couldn’t do anything due to some

missing data.

After a week (maybe a bit earlier) i get a letter from Italian customs telling me they want to know what the package contains (as if they hadn’t already opened it) how much it was worth and a damn receipt to prove it. I had to go fish out the receipt from my paper trash can in my room.

I had to fill out a stupid module indicating all kinds of useless factors. Anyway after a couple of days my package finally gets to destination, but with a nice surprise.

A 30% tax on Item’s worth + shipping and handling, plus an additional 5 euro for postal charges, plus another 5 euro because i ...

• had to pay additional taxes plus shipping charges from the airport to customs and back again, plus the cost from there to my post office. This isn’t the worst part.

Many times I would order things from ebay from GOOD sellers with 100% positive feedback and my packages would mysteriously disappear, magazines which we subscribe to get here every other month instead of every month, parcels take forever to be delivered and shipping costs and times are outrageous. I once ordered a cd from the USA, because it costed $10 and about $12 for shipping delivery ~10 days, while in Italy the cd costed 16 euro which is more than twice as much, plus 14 euro

to ship it and it would take ~15 days to get here, from ITALY to ITALY.

When i get a tracking number i always notice that my package gets to Italian soil within 5 days then it takes about 2 weeks to get it from the airport to my house. Now i can understand everything but when i see that when i order something from the UK and that it only costs me 2 British pounds for shipping and it gets to me in 6-8 days (including Sundays) while from Italy the same thing would cost me about 8 euro for shipping and get to me in the same amount of time if not later.

I find it truly scandalous.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251402598030528/k2311a0214/2.14.09