Birmingham Childrens Hospital  » Health  »
Birmingham UK
  • Overall if you have to have an treatment to your children then I would recommend this place as it is a great hospital with really good staff who do care for the children and for the parents, they make them feel so important

• by Steveradders

Recently we had to take our son Kurt to the Hospital for an operation on his hand to open up the muscle by his thumb to allow it to move more freely. The hospital that were doing the operation was the Birmingham Children’s Hospital. The hospital is located in the centre of Birmingham on Steel House Lane, opposite the police station and at the back of the law courts.

The hospital is a mix of new and old buildings and is constantly undergoing building works to bring it up to a good standard and to look after the building. For this procedure Kurt had to have anaesthetic which they gave him while he was sitting on my lap, and he went to sleep in

my arms then I lay him on the bed and they took him down to theatre.

I’m not sure how long he was down there for as it seemed an age while Lyndsey and I were waiting up on the ward for the nurse to tell us when he was coming out of the theatre.

The nurse that was assigned to Kurt for his pre op was very nice and was friendly with Kurt and kept making him laugh and he was actually enjoying himself. She was the one who took us down to see him and he had just woken up when we got o him and he seemed a bit groggy but couldn’t walk or anything because of the anaesthetic. She took us all ...

• back to the ward where we had to wait a number of hours for Kurt to be able to do certain things again himself to make sure all the affects of the anaesthetic had worn off properly.

The nurses were brilliant with him they gave us big bottles of pain killers for him which are still un opened as he never needed them. We had to wait around another four hours before they would let us go home but in that time they played with Kurt and really cared for him they made him feel really special and ever since when he has to g back for the check ups on his hand he always looks forward to going because he thinks it is quite good

fun there with the nurses and all the toys to play with.

All of the staff that we have dealt with at the hospital right down from the surgeon to the nurses on the ward have been excellent they really cared for not only Kurt but they made sure that Lyndsey and I knew what was going on the whole time and what sort of reactions to expect from Kurt when he came round to not to be upset or surprised by them as they were normal.

Overall if you have to have an treatment to your children then I would recommend this place as it is a great hospital with really good staff who do care for the children and for the parents, they make them feel so important.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341402597700528/k2311a0214/2.14.09